MDK stands for Murder Death Kill, an obscure quote from the futuristic action movie Demolition Man, starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. MDK was the code word for a homicide. Murders were so rare in those days all deaths were bunched together as MDK. Shiny Entertainment took this inane little piece of trivia and made a game out of it. And it was a damn good game. Note: the game MDK is not based on the movie, but a totally independent game.

MDK was graphically great, but what made it so good was its innovative and unorthodox gameplay. In the age of Quake, its third-person perspective and wacky graphics was a very welcoming change. Shiny had been known for strange games, having made Earthworm Jim for Sega, another nutty game. MDK put you in the shoes of Kurt, who wore a living piece of armor. You went around and solved puzzles, blasted aliens, and saved the Earth. Very good fun. Sniping was great. The game was however very difficult, and it had high computer requirements to run properly.

MDK 2 came out recently, and again it is graphically great. This time you could play as three different characters. I won't spoil the fun for you all, instead, you should grab a copy for the PC or the Playstation and kill some aliens. All I can say is that this is the best hardcore arcade shooter available, and its sense of humor makes it even better. It's fast-paced and furious, and would please any shooter fan. In spite of the fact that it was made by Bioware, not Shiny, they did a great job carrying on the Shiny tradition of wackiness.

In the MDK game readme file they say that MDK doesn't really stand for anything, they also suggested it might stand for Mother's Day Kisses. Most people who haven't played the game believe it stands for Murder Death Kill, but those who have played it usually assume Max, Kurt, and Doc (the three heros).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.