Megalomaniacs are obsessed with the accumulation of power and wealth. They're arrogant and convinced of their own superiority. When they work towards achieving the status they "deserve" they can compose complex and devious conspiracies or use outright brutality.

To a megalomaniac the world has only two kinds of people; those who are weaker, and the undeserving. The undeserving are people in positions of power, but who do not deserve it.

Title: Megalomania
Developer: Sensible Software
Publisher: Image Works
Year: 1991
Platform(s): PC & Amiga
Description: Megalomania was an early real time strategy/god game. It was a very well-designed game, and was one of the first games to use digitized speech. Using a whole 880k disc for the extra sound, Sensible Software hired real voice actors to do the talking. You start out by choosing among the four available deities: Scarlet, Oberon, Caesar and Madcap, each of which had different personalities (Madcap was an aggressor, Caesar a diplomat, etc). The game follows the classic research-mine-produce-aqcuire cycle, where people are the most important resource. You allocate persons to the various jobs. Each level is an island, where you, as the God of your people, must help them win over the other people, who are helped by their God. The game progresses through several epochs, each with new weapons, buildings and so on. In the end, Mother of Battles takes place, and you must use all the people you have frozen during the game. Like most of the Sensible Software games, the graphics follow a distinct style, with amusing little men, mere pixels high.
My Opinion: One of my favorite god games, with a very distinct form of humor. It was especially funny if you had the memory expansion that it required to hear the voices.
Related nodes:
This write-up complies with the Computer And Video Games : Noding convention for entries. standards.

Audited January 20, 2002.

Meg`a*lo*ma"ni*a (?), n. [NL., fr. megalo- + mania.] Pathol.

A form of mental alienation in which the patient has grandiose delusions.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.