Also Met-

Refers to a system for evaluating or discussing another system. Metazoology, for example, would presumably be the examination of zoological methods as (hopefully) a valid system.

In the original Latin it meant 'after', and thus Metaphysics means 'after', or 'beyond' physics, not 'about' physics.

It is now often used as a cute way of referring to something that is in some way self-referantial or self-containing. A metacorporation is a corporation formed from corporations. Metadata is data about data. Metacognition is thinking about the fact that you are thinking.

Met"a- (?), Met- (?). [Gr. between, with, after; akin to AS. mid with, G. mit, Goth. miþ, E. mid, in midwife.]

1.

A prefix meaning between, with, after, behind, over, about, reversely; as, metachronism, the error of placing after the correct time; metaphor, lit., a carrying over; metathesis, a placing reversely.

2. Chem. A prefix denoting: (a)

Other; duplicate, corresponding to; resembling; hence, metameric; as, meta-arabinic, metaldehyde.

(b) Organic Chem.

That two replacing radicals, in the benzene nucleus, occupy the relative positions of 1 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 5, 4 and 6, 5 and 1, or 6 and 2; as, metacresol, etc. See Ortho-, and Para-.

(c) Inorganic Chem.

Having less than the highest number of hydroxyl groups; -- said of acids; as, metaphosphoric acid. Also used adjectively.

<-- 3. A prefix meaning at a level above, as metaphysics, metalanguage. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.