user since
Sat Apr 10 2004 at 03:45:58 (20 years ago )
last seen
Fri Aug 4 2006 at 07:07:29 (17.6 years ago )
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 0
specialties
Philosophy / Religious Studies
school/company
Macalester College
Send private message to Miaoshan

Currently a Philosophy and Religious Studies major at Macalester College. I look forward to my coming senior year with surprise and regret. On the one hand, I will actually finish (and enjoy finishing) both of my majors. On the other, I didn't find out about how much I love Computer Science until far, far too late. Let us not even mention my passing romances with Classics, French, Art History, and Math. I either need to get over it, or be an undergrad forever... Which doesn't sound too bad.

Things to node: Princess Miaoshan (incarnation of Guanyshiyin). The conflation of Guanyin and the Virgin Mary in Buddhist religious images in 18 and 19th century China. SK .44 / The Eastern Kings. Spontaneous Human Locomotion. The Mac Gaming Society. The Seven Sons. UC (rubber-ducky.net/UC). I'm Blue (The Valrus may beat me to it). MacCon. Numerous philosophy papers. Numerous religous studies papers. The unjustifiable evil wrought by D.T. Suzuki. Dogen's last words. The exploitation of women who've had abortions by the child-like representations of Jizo in Japan. Calvin J. Roetzel. Peter Harle. Sarah Horton.The beloved Jim Laine. Geoffrey Gorham. That myth I wrote for Jerry Reedy. Jeremiah Reedy. Henry West. Izanami and Izanagi.

Frazer, Wittgenstein and the Interpretation of Ritual Practice (senior philosophy paper)

Obstacles: 1) Not failing college. 2) World-gripping trepidation. This would be a bad time to hold your breath.


Noders I know whose minds I respect and whose works I'd like to emulate
(in general, but also on E2)

valrus
masui
cheshious
discoflamingo13