In the U.S. state of South Carolina, the middle area of the state, the strip of land between the coastal Low Country and the hilly Up Country. Also called the Sandhills, but "the Midlands" is the phrase that seems to be used by people who want to sound good, such as Columbia TV stations. This area is basically the same as what's called the Piedmont in North Carolina and some other areas.

An ill-defined area of England, comprising places which are too far north to be in the Home Counties or the South-west, but aren't in the north yet. Conceptually, the image of the Midlands is based on the industrial (or formerly industrial) cities: Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton conurbation (the West Midlands), Stoke on Trent and Newcastle under Lyme (the Potteries) and Leicester, Nottingham and Derby (the East Midlands), but you could broadly consider the term to apply to anywhere north of a line from the Wash to the Severn Estuary and south of the old borders of Lancashire and Yorkshire, which includes a great swathe of rural Deep England: the Welsh Marches (Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire - A.E. Housman country), the Peak District and Lincolnshire and Northants, archetypical poaching and fox-hunting areas.

The Midlands are generally held in low esteem by the rest of the country; a West Midlands accent in particular has an extremely low status (if you want Londoners to think you are a bit dim-witted, talk brummy) although it was in fact the accent with which Shakespeare spoke.


A province of Zimbabwe, unsurprisingly in the centre of the country. The main towns are Gweru and Kwekwe, and like its English counterpart it is the location of most of the country's heavy industry.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.