The proposition that the correct position is determined by those strong enough to enforce it. Normally people use this phrase disparagingly since, for example, just because Andrew Jackson had the power to ignore the Supreme Court and forcibly relocate Native Americans to Oklahoma over the Trail of Tears does not make it right. Similarly for various underhanded deals. Personally, I say that sometimes we cannot determine to everyone's satisfaction who is right or wrong, but we can often determine to everyone's satisfaction who is the winner. In human relations, sometimes this is the best you can do. That's why they make war.

Real-world example:

In 1995, U.S. government forces killed 77 people
(possibly innocent victims, possibly armed Separatists)
in Waco, Texas.

Partially in retaliation, partially out of overall hatred for the U.S. goverment,
Timothy McVeigh orchestrated the bombing of a U.S. government facility in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The bomb killed over 150 people, including 16 children.
McVeigh called their deaths "collateral damage."

In 1999, Yugoslav government forces killed 37 people
(possibly innocent victims, possibly armed separatists)
in Racak, Yugoslavia.

Partially in retaliation, partially out of overall hatred for the Yugoslav government,
Bill Clinton orchestrated the bombing of civilan and government facilities throughout Yugoslavia.

The bombs killed over 500 people, including 79 children.
Clinton associate Jamie Shea called their deaths "collateral damage".

Timothy McVeigh was tried, found guilty and sentenced to death.

Bill Clinton now collects a taxpayer-funded pension and is paid to lecture to community groups.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.