A statement that everybody naturally agrees on. Statements like "We must care for our children", or "We all love our mothers". They usually are used for the feelgood effect by politicians and other speakers to make their audiences warm and fuzzy and to give them a sense of fraternity with each other. Of course, they're not actually useful for anything and tend to be uninformation, and they grate on sensitive ears as being cliched or trite.

They are sometimes also used as the bait in logical traps. For example, someone might say something like, "Why wouldn't you want to give your mother this $200 health blanket or don't you love your mother?". The problem is between the link between the first and second statements. Buying the blanket is not directly related to loving your mother, but many people would fall for the trap.

It comes up a lot in free speech debates; when someone says something like "You can't delete nodes from Everything2, that would be against free speech, and how can you not support free speech"?

Again, problem is the link between the first and second statements. Deleting nodes from Everything2 isn't directly connected with free speech.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.