In physiological terms, "movement" is anything promoted by the muscles. Both voluntary and involuntary action are considered movement.

In classical music, a movement is a part of a symphony. Usually, each movement sounds quite different and has a different rhythm/feel. The movements of symphonies are often split up into seperate tracks when you buy the symphony on CD, often denoted by their tempo/style (e.g. Allegro/Largo/Allegreto/etc.

Some movements are quite small, and some are very large. Gustav Mahler, for example, often has very large symphonies with movements of up to and over 20 minutes. An example of actual movements are each of Gustav Holst's movements in The Planets.

Move"ment (?), n. [F. mouvement. See Move, and cf. Moment.]

1.

The act of moving; change of place or posture; transference, by any means, from one situation to another; natural or appropriate motion; progress; advancement; as, the movement of an army in marching or maneuvering; the movement of a wheel or a machine; the party of movement.

2.

Motion of the mind or feelings; emotion.

3.

Manner or style of moving; as, a slow, or quick, or sudden, movement.

4. Mus. (a)

The rhythmical progression, pace, and tempo of a piece.

"Any change of time is a change of movement." Busby. (b)

One of the several strains or pieces, each complete in itself, with its own time and rhythm, which make up a larger work; as, the several movements of a suite or a symphony.

5. Mech.

A system of mechanism for transmitting motion of a definite character, or for transforming motion; as, the wheelwork of a watch.

Febrille movement Med., an elevation of the body temperature; a fever. -- Movement cure. Med. See Kinesiatrics. -- Movement of the bowels, an evacuation or stool; a passage or discharge.

Syn. -- Motion. -- Movement, Motion. Motion expresses a general idea of not being at rest; movement is oftener used to express a definite, regulated motion, esp. a progress.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.