A defensive shooting drill intended to counter a failure to stop after two rounds to center of mass do not seem to stop the attacker, such as in the case that the attacker is wearing a protective vest or is under the influence of mind-altering chemicals. "The problem for the shooter is to change his pace, going just as fast as he can with his first pair, then, pausing to observe results or lack thereof, he must slow down and shoot precisely. This is not easy to do. The beginner tends to fire all three shots at the same speed, which is either too slow for the body shots or too fast for the head shot. This change of pace calls for concentration and coordination which can only be developed through practice." -- Jeff Cooper in Jeff Cooper's Commentaries

Setup:
Single silhouette target; distance based on shooter's skill level.

Procedure:
Start facing the target. On the signal, draw and fire two shots to center of mass and then one to the head. Score per appropriate sport rules, though there must be a head shot. Lack of a head shot is considered a miss.

Variations and Similar Drills:
Vary distance based on skill level.

Credits:
Added to modern doctrine by Jeff Cooper based on the experience of one of his students while on duty in Mozambique.
The story behind the Mozambique Drill involved Mike Rousseaou and an AK-47 wielding terrorist in the area around the Laurenco Marquez airport in Mozambique.

Said terrorist began to forward on Mike and knowing of the danger he was in, Mike drew his GP35, a Browning Hi-Power 9mmx19 pistol, and fired two shots at his attacker. The two shots hit both sides of the wishbone but somehow did not stop his attacker. Realizing his failure to neutralize he then paused and took an aimed shot for the head. You can imagine that adrenalin was rushing high for Mike and that he was obviously unpleased by the lack of reaction of the terrorist after being shot twice, he aims for the head but mashes the trigger and hits low, severing the spinal cord. This finally ends this encounter.

Mike survived this one but was to be later killed in action in the Rhodesian War.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.