An auditorium or theatre which hosts a wide variety of traveling acts and entertainers. These can range from sites as large and well-known as the Radio City Music Hall to smaller local venues like the Columbus Music Hall in Ohio. Music halls first arose in Great Britain, providing entertainment to the masses during their heyday from the Gay Nineties until the Second World War.

Music halls were crucial to the creation of panto, vaudeville and variety shows, spawning a great deal of British culture which then made its way to other countries.

The British Music Hall Society was formed in 1963 to preserve the memory of these things as they faded with the advent of television. They preserve theatrical memorabilia, hold study groups on various famous performers of the past, and put on monthly shows at the Central Conference Centre Theatre in London. They can be found at http://www.musichall.bigwig.net/Homex.html.

There is even a site providing "resources for circus, theatre, music hall/vaudeville, travellers, Gypsy-Romany and similar families" at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~paulln/index.htm.

Music hall.

A place for public musical entertainments; specif. (Eng.), esp. a public hall for vaudeville performances, in which smoking and drinking are usually allowed in the auditorium.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.