Any album suddenly gains in appeal if it has a great title. This album has a great title.

So, perhaps it is a bit shallow to admit that the only reason I grabbed this on a Friday afternoon back in February was because I liked the album title. It wasn’t until recently that I even remembered that I had never listened to it all the way through.

At first, I thought “there are better albums out there” than what Peter Yorn was giving me. It didn’t grab me in the way I want a new CD to grab me. I want to fall so madly in love with a CD that I listen to it over and over again until I can’t stomach it any more. Pete just didn’t do it for me. Or maybe it’s just the rise of several other musicians like him (think along the lines of John Mayer and Ryan Adams) that grabbed me more and were overshadowing him.

Unfortunately, I was left wanting to hear Yorn rock harder than what he does on this album. While “Life on a Chain” kicks things off at a decent pace, it feels like Yorn is holding back.

Despite my issues with the album, by the time I had gotten to track 12 for the first time, I realized that it wasn’t so bad after all.

Perhaps I had been lulled into complacency.

musicforthemorningafter is excellent chill-out music while not quite reaching sleepy-time music level. In particular, “Lose You” and “EZ” and “Simonize” are worth a listen.

Pete Yorn released musicforthemorningafter in 2001.

Track Listings:

  1. Life on a Chain
  2. Strange Condition
  3. Just Another
  4. Black
  5. Lose You
  6. For Nancy (‘Cos Is Already Is)
  7. Murray
  8. June
  9. Sense
  10. Closet
  11. On Your Side
  12. Sleep Better
  13. EZ
  14. Simonize

Some versions of musicforthemorningafter include the following bonus songs:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.