Oil, wood, mineral deposits, all those things that we need in our day to day lives which are harvested from this planet that we call home. A lack of these things spells doom for any independant nation. Should ireland be freed from england it will probably do poorly as it's only natural resource is peat.

Utah Philips' account of the speech he gave to some very lucky students. This is a spoken word piece:

 

I was invited to the state Young Writers' Conference out at Cheney, which was at Eastern Washington University. And I didn't want to embarrass my son, you know, and I was gonna behave myself cause I had to live there then -- it was a chore. But I got on the stage -- it was an enormous auditorium; there were twenty-seven hundred young faces out there, none of them with any prospects anybody could detect -- and off to the side of the stage was the suit-and-tie crowd of people from the school district and the principals, and the, the main speaker following me was from the Chamber of Commerce.

Well, something inside of me snapped.

And I got to the microphone, and I looked out over that multitude of faces and I said something to the effect of:

"You're about to be told one more time that you're America's most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? Have you seen a strip mine? Have you seen a clearcut in the forest? Have you seen a polluted river? Don't ever let them call you a valuable natural resource! They're gonna strip mine your soul! They're gonna clear-cut your best thoughts for the sake of profit, unless you learn to resist, 'cause the profit system follows the path of least resistance, and following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked! Hmph!"

Well, there was great gnashing of teeth and rending of garments -- mine! I was borne to the door, screaming epithets over my shoulder, something to the effect of: "Make a break for it, kids!" "Flee to the wilderness!" The one within, if you can find it.

Well, I wrote them a nice letter though, as I oozed out of the state, headed for Nevada City. I sent it to their little literary magazine. I respect kids. I love especially little kids. Little kids are...

...assholes. But they're their own assholes, see, it's when they, when you grow up and become somebody else's asshole we're all in trouble, you know, like bankers or B-52 pilots and such...

[fade out]

 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.