A neo-fascist is a fascist, minus the Hitler/Mussolini-era trappings, for presentation is everything, and it's hard to do spin or advocacy if you're easily discredited. Therefore they are much more likely to be seen in an expensive suit and coiffure than in a brown shirt or white KKK hood.

Neo-fascists have also developed another wrinkle in the past year to eighteen months. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center's Winter 2000 Intelligence Report, neo-fascist groups have begun to form alliances with the far left. The most visible example of this is the alliance between Pat Buchanan and Dr. Lenora Fulani, respectively the presidential and vice-presidential candidates from the Reform Party for the 2000 election.

Also, fascism, especially the more Nazi influenced variants, has a long association with the environmental movement, going back to the end of the 19th Century, when the association of unspoiled nature with purity began to take hold in popular Western culture. This should not be taken as an indictment of the environmental movement as a whole -- I myself am strongly environmentalist. However, that does not mean I can ignore this connection. It has unfortunately infected even mainstream environmental organizations -- nearly 40% of the membership of the Sierra Club voted yes on a proposal to declare immigration an environmental ill just this past year, according the Southern Poverty Law Center. As an environmentalist, I find these green-brown alliances extremely distressing -- support for a clean an livable environment must not become entangled with fascist ideals.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.