Slang in the ghetto for a nine millimeter hand gun. Some MoFo may gat you with this if you don't watch your six.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight...Oooh, nine. Nine is a big whup-ass magickal number, mostly due to that 3 x 3 thing. It's THE MOMENT SQUARED, I suppose.

Anyway, nine is also a big completeness number, largely because of the nine-month human gestation period, and also because nine is the last "new" number among all numbers--after nine you're just repeating old numbers again.

Nine, numerologically, is a number of great achievment, both mentally and spiritually. Nine is literally the "highest" number and denotes all the highest qualities. Yes, yes, I know, three had all the best shit too, but threes were a bit self-serving and ambitious. Nines are lucky and talented and all that jazz like threes, but with more humility. Nines are also amorous and possibly egotistical (because 9 always returns to itself--since everything you get by multiplying by 9 always adds up to 9).

KYUU KU kokono (nine)

ASCII Art Representation:

              #
              ##
              ##             
          ###############
         #######     ###
             ##      ###
            ##        ##
           ##         ##
          ##         ###  #
         ##           ##  ##
        #              ####

Character Etymology:

Originally written as a pictograph representing a bent elbow. In ancient times a bent elbow was used to indicate the number nine when counting with only one arm.

A listing of all on-yomi and kun-yomi readings:

on-yomi: KYUU KU
kun-yomi: ko kokono kokono(tsu)

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: ichijiku ichinoku kono misasi

English Definitions:

  1. KYUU, KU, kokono(tsu), ko: nine.

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

九十 (kyuujyuu): nineteen.
九九の表 (kuku no hyoo): multiplicaiton table.
九日 (kokonoka): nine days, the ninth day (of the month).
九月 (kugatsu): September.
九死に一生 (kyuushi ni isshoo): a narrow escape from death.

  Previous: spirit  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: rest

A South African Band that started up in Athlone, Cape Town, in June 1992. The 4-piece have a style all of their own (like most decent bands), best described as alternative. Their style meanders between jazz and heavy alternative rock, with the odd tributary into hip-hop. Nine are known throughout South African Music circles as being the artists' choice band.

Farrell Adams, the lead singer, is quite possibly the coolest person in South African Music. James Reynard (guitar) and oh what a cool guitar he has too!, Grenville Williams (bass) and Jerome Reynard (drums) complete the quartet.

I first got to know of Nine during my first year at university, in 1994. Their posters, featuring their 9 shaped galaxy logo that has endured to today, used to adorn the student union walls at UCT, the University of Cape Town. (The logo was subsequently shaved into Farrel's hair for the 2000 Cape Town State of the Nation gig!)

In those days, Nine played many of their gigs at the Heidelberg Tavern, which was blown apart by a handgranade just before the first democratic elections in April 1994.

The members of Nine are musically dynamic and won't be constrained to the (admittedly vast) stylistic definition that is the fans' perception of Nine. They feature in four other bands: Blunt, Firing Squad, The Original Evergreen and new band Golliwog that has chins wagging in the industry at the moment.

Nine are regular features at all the big music festivals in South Africa: OppiKoppi, Up The Creek. I don't know if they go to Splashy Fen because that's held in KwaZulu-Natal and unlike OppiKoppi, is not marketed all over the country. Despite their festival following, and general high regard amongst those in-the-know in the South African Music Industry, the members have been individually and collectively (Firing Squad features all of the members of Nine) more successful with their other band interests. For that reason, perhaps, they seem to spend more time gigging with their other projects. But Nine is how we love them.

Nine are the only band to feature on both OppiKoppi live albums. On the 1997 (single CD) album, they feature with their most well known and possibly their best song, Last Tear, about a couple who part. They also feature on that CD with Cancelled, a track that goes on for about 14 minutes because while the other three are jamming, Farrel is bitching about how they got arrested for possessing dope and nearly didn't make it to the festival. On the 1998 (double CD) album, they feature with their track Revolution.

The only website I have found for Nine is http://www.music.org.za/artists/nine.htm, but it was last updated in 1998, prior to the release of their second CD (and first full length CD), Entropy. One of the members works for FriedJam.com, a digital music downloads site that features a massive database of South African Music at the mean price of about US$1 per track. All of Nine's works are located on this site, and possibly Firing Squad's as well.

The band will shortly release their third recording, also a full-length CD. Watch out for it on http://www.kalahari.net.

Nine (?), a. [OE. nine, nihen, AS. nigon, nigan; akin to D. & LG. negen, OS. & OFries. nigun, OHG. niun, G. neun, Icel. niu, sw. nio, Dan. ni, Goth. niun, Ir. & Gael. naoi, W. naw, L. novem, gr. , Skr. navan; of unknown origin. 307. Cf. Novembeer.]

Eight and one more; one less than ten; as, nine miles.

Nine men's morris. See Morris. -- Nine points circle Geom., a circle so related to any given triangle as to pass through the three points in which the perpendiculars from the angles of the triangle upon the opposite sides (or the sides produced) meet the sides. It also passes through the three middle points of the sides of the triangle and through the three middle points of those parts of the perpendiculars that are between their common point of meeting and the angles of the triangle. The circle is hence called the nine points ∨ six points circle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Nine, n.

1.

The number greater than eight by a unit; nine units or objects.

2.

A symbol representing nine units, as 9 or ix.

The Nine, the nine Muses.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.