Notice that this device does not really move when you push against it. It senses force, not movement, quite differently from a mouse or a trackball or a trackpad even.

I realize that space and engineering constraints on a portable computer are very tight, nonetheless I consider nipple mice (also known in IBM speak as "J mouse") evil and pain, because fine movements are really difficult.

Ninety-Ninety Rule = N = NMI

nipple mouse n.

Var. `clit mouse, clitoris' Common term for the pointing device used on IBM ThinkPads and a few other laptop computers. The device, which sits between the `g' and `h' keys on the keyboard, indeed resembles a rubber nipple intended to be tweaked by a forefinger. Many hackers consider these superior to the glide pads found on most laptops, which are harder to control precisely.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

I personally prefer these over trackpads, which I consider evil. In fact, when getting my laptop for college, this seemingly trivial detail was the reason many were dropped from contention. Precision movement is quite possible with a little effort, and I have even successfully fragged using one (makes it really convenient to throw grenades in TFC, too ;).

My only complaint about nipple meeces is that the rubber ones used by Toshiba and Dell (and probably others) eventually lose their texture and become increasingly difficult to control, prompting the replacement of the spent nipple mouse with a fresh one (often with relatively exorbitant prices for replacements (on the order of $2-3 per nipple)). IBM models use hard plastic, which, AFAIK, is not replaceable, but lasts much longer. If they are replaceable, I intend to get an IBM nipple mouse to put on my Dell laptop when its current (rubber) nipple mouse wears out.

generic-man says re nipple mouse: IBM's nipple mice tips are replaceable; some ThinkPads even come with different shapes for you to try.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.