No-till farming is the process of farming land from year to year without disturbing the soil by means of plowing or other forms of tillage. No-till farming is typically achieved using specialized "seed drills" to implant seeds into the ground to required depths with minimum disruption of the soil.

No-till agriculture has the potential to increase profits by reducing costs and increasing yields. Traditional tilling methods prepare the soil for planting and aid irrigation, but can have a wide variety of negative effects over the longer term, including soil compaction, promotion of topsoil loss, reduced water capacity of the soil, and the destruction or disruption of useful organisms in the soil such as nitrogen-fixing microbes and earthworms. By avoiding the degradation of the soil in these ways, no-till agriculture can increase yields. Meanwhile it saves costs on labor, fuel, and water.

No-till agriculture also leads to the sequestration of carbon in the soil, and thus in theory the wide-scale adoption of no-till agriculture would help reduce the amount of carbon in the atmosphere and thus help ameliorate climate change.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.