If you consider yourself a guitar player, you know what noodle really means. This could apply to any other type of musician. You listen to a goofball play scales like it was some sort of art form. Kenny G. would be a good example for sax players. Jerry Garcia is the prime example for guitarists. Any Grateful Dead song lasting over 4 minutes will have one long example. Or any Phish song lasting at least that long. However, even better bands such as the Allman Brothers can succumb. Listen to the end of an otherwise lovely song like "Blue Sky." I blame Dickey Betts for this example.

When this phenomenon begins, the other guys in the band look at each other and there's only one thought on their minds:

"When will this noodlin' end?"

This is not a new usage for the pasta appellation. Even in the 1940s, Louis Armstrong referred to playing along with a 78 rpm record in this way: "I'm just gonna noodle around with it."

The word noodle derives from noddle, a word that emerged in the fifteenth century, three hundred years before the appearance of the culinary noodle.

This noddle, incidentally, is probably related to nod, meaning to tilt the head forward. The culinary noodle, on the other hand, which appeared in the late eighteenth century, derives from the German nudel, a word that has nothing to do with running around naked.

The other words to which noodle and nudel are probably related include the German knodel, a small dumpling whose name was borrowed in the early nineteenth century, and the Yiddish knaidel, another kind of small dumpling whose name was borrowed in the 1950s. The ultimate souce of this cluster of words may be the German knode, meaning knot.

From: Cupboard Love: A Dictionary of Culinary Curiosities.

Fried Cantonese Noodles:

Cut ginger into thin strips, mince garlic. Prepare scallions for a garnish by cutting both the green and white sections into inch-long pieces, then cut each piece in half, lay the flat edge on the cutting board and cut the scallions into feathery strips.

Heat a skillet with canola oil and a few drops of sesame oil or chili sesame oil. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for about a minute. Next place fresh Cantonese chow mein noodles in boiling water for about one minute, drain and transfer to the skillet. Toss the noodles well in the fragrant oil and then allow them to set and caramelize before turning them in the skillet.

This requires that you keep your hands to yourself and not fiddle with the noodles. Don’t wander off though. Just stand there. All right. Now you can turn them a bit. Add some peanuts if you would like. Now just stand there. Toss the noodles,ensuring that there is a good crisp to them before transferring them to aserving bowl. Garnish with scallions, a good dusting of salt and fresh white pepper.

A noodle can be a number of things. Most commonly is it a food that people cook by putting it in boiling or near boiling water and adding various spices for flavor.

I noodle is also another name for one's brain. So when someone tells you to use your noodle they want you to think about something.

There is also a science of throwing noodles on the wall in order to read them and tell the future.
I suppose this would be using your noodle to examine noodles to determine the outcome of other's noodles.

Noo"dle (?), n. [Cf. Noddle, Noddy.]

A simpleton; a blockhead; a stupid person; a ninny.

[Low]

The chuckling grin of noodles. Sydney Smith.

 

© Webster 1913.


Noo"dle, n. [G. nudel vermicelli.]

A thin strip of dough, made with eggs, rolled up, cut into small pieces, and used in soup.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.