The Notchback is a member of the Volkswagen Type III family.

The concept of the Notchback came about in 1958 when Heinz Nordhoff, who was general director of Volkswagen, realized that their company could build cars for more than just the lower class. Volkswagens, Beetles in particular, had grown in popularity and were now in demand all over the world. Among the masses that were trying to join this automotive revolution were those of the middle class. Nordhoff took advantage of his new customer base and contracted Carrozeria Ghia and Porsche Design Studios to produce a design for him. The goal was to have a big brother to the Type I Beetle. It was to be more spacious, more powerful, and more luxurious.

The world got its first look at the Notchback on September 21st, 1961 at the Frankfurt International Auto Show. There, the Notchback Sedan and Cabriolet (never produced), along with their brothers the Squareback, Type 34 Karmann Ghia Coupe and Cabriolet were unveiled.

Sale of the Notchback 1500 began in 1962 and went on until 1974 when the entire Type III line was discontinued.

Strangely, the Notchback was never exported to the United States, but the Squareback and Fastback were.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.