Numeric sound is a primitive method of producing sounds with digital electronics according to their self-indexed order. Numeric sound differs from Digital sound by being an inherent result of transmitting serial numeric data directly to an analog speaker system. The connection of any wire carrying digital data is certain to make some kind of noise when it is connected to an analog amplified speaker. There is primitive reciprocity in this process, because it is possible, if there is no operating system enforced rule against doing so, to feed analog audio signals into a serial data link and force the computer to accept it as binary data in disregard of error detection.

Audiovisualization of digital data is a useful, real form of synaesthesia, which may most useful for people who actually experience synaesthesia in such a way that the simultaneous perception of numbers, music, sight, shape, or other senses from a single sense may provide otherwise unobvious patterns in problem solving tasks. Audiovisualization plugins for MP3 player software is an accurate simulation of synaesthesia, as the image is created by converting the loudness and pitch of music into shapes and colors. The variety of audiovisualizations are artful discovered or designed patterns controlled by the same aspects of sound that technicians may use to analyze sound with technical instrumentation devices such as an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer.

The entire set of numeric sound is defined by either simple counting and sequential serial output of each number to a speaker in binary format, or by other calculations that index a preferred subset of numbers. A very small subset of binary integers can be used to synthesize speech or even singing using numeric sound synthesis techniques. The sound quality of a numeric sound synthesizer is usually like the sound of Neil Armstrong talking on the moon, although SONY SACD seems to be equivalent to the numeric sound technique, which has been used for making voice sounds on games for 8-bit home computers in the early 1980's.

The entire set of numeric sound can be generated by simple logic circuits and depending on which counting method is used, may provide a free never-ending source of background music, although its musical characteristics are not based on common music theory and therefore it may be irritating or monotonous or otherwise intolerable to some people after a short period of time.

Numeric sound is the experimental basis for fast music prediction or generative music synthesis using special numeric entities such as Champernowne Number which is the numeric sound equivalent of all possible sounds playing in order forever.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.