(sufi,Nasrudin Stories)

Obligation

The Mulla nearly fell into a pool. A man whom he knew slightly was near and saved him. Every time he met Nasrudin after that he would remind him of the service he had performed.

When this had happened several times Nasrudin took him to the water, jumped in, stood with his head just above water and shouted: "Now I am just as wet as I would have been if you had not saved me. Leave me alone !".

Ob"li*ga"tion (?), n. [F. obligation. L. obligatio. See Oblige.]

1.

The act of obligating.

2.

That which obligates or constrains; the binding power of a promise, contract, oath, or vow, or of law; that which constitutes legal or moral duty.

A tender conscience is a stronger obligation than a proson. Fuller.

3.

Any act by which a person becomes bound to do something to or for anouther, or to forbear something; external duties imposed by law, promise, or contract, by the relations of society, or by courtesy, kindness, etc.

Every man has obligations which belong to his station. Duties extend beyond obligation, and direct the affections, desires, and intentions, as well as the actions. Whewell.

4.

The state of being obligated or bound; the state of being indebted for an act of favor or kindness; as, to place others under obligations to one.

5. Law

A bond with a condition annexed, and a penalty for nonfulfillment. In a larger sense, it is an acknowledgment of a duty to pay a certain sum or do a certain things.

Days of obligation. See under Day.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.