Also a derogatory term used to describe a joke, phrase or meme that has become out of date or annoying through overuse:

"Look matey, that was funny once, but it's old now"

It can also be used to warn others not to misuse a joke, phrase or meme:

"That is going to get old sooo fast..."

in genetics, telomeres affect the age of the cell. They shorten in duplication. The concept of having borne your young is at the heart of "old": "open country" as in the plentiful earth and "world" as backdrop for a context having little by which to fundamentally (as in, the will) affect events/actions of that in it, as us on this planet, and as an old person to their body. Old currently assumes that generative efforts result in degredation of self and therefore self sustenance, in the case of being internally measured; or assumed progress with the march of time and "evolution" or progress, in the case of being externally measured (and by progress, I mean no insinuation that there is some intrinsic good by which all other qualities must be judged -- no moralism here, only dynamism :-).

More generally, having been passed out of present use, such that versions you've created/a part of you has engendered, carry premium instead of you yourself. That doesn't mean that contributions are less useful in themselves, only relative to where the rubric for their application has resolved. Measured directly, they are less *likely* to be generatively significant. Less likely to help the further-evolved apprehend new meaning. Like reading a basis for a more practically-direct rubric, such as the Bible or the Koran,does little to progress -- is old -- but is still significant. This can be ideological, psychic, cultural, physical...

Aging can be because of context, or relative to self sustenance. I propose the former will be with us forever, the latter is always qualified, but will always be around by virtue of our not controlling resources for everything, fudamentally.

Old does not denote "less meaningful". When external, "old" is due to context. When relative to self, reduced self sustenance. Time has nothing to do with it. Genetic research has now proven that -- so far we had thought of a cell as a discrete thing -- the fact is, it's all constituent parts that affect dynamic in its environment, in a way that perpetuates certain static aspects of the parts' arrangement, and that we call an "object". Dee Hock's chaords. Take away the software errors, supplied by telomeres' absence, supply an endless stream of material, and you have an endless "object" because endless arrangement of material in which those dynamics can play out.

So far, time has typically seen the inexorable plodding of all these factors that comprise aging, but that process can be halted, even reversed, because it is comprised of *those factors*. Our current concepting of 3-D space and time. Its difficulty with freely understanding the nature of aging is particularly facilitated through language's -- particularly the English language's -- weaknesses, which stymie perception-based feedback loops for conceptual evaluation of what's (supposed to be) possible, and, thereby, formation of new terms -- effectively, the generative apprehension of significance and formulation of meaning itself, the process of "evolution".

I suppose the only real meaning of "old" would be by elapsed time, and time's relative to the heavenly bodies, so long as we can't move the whole universe at once, or a majority of what we perceive of it, we'll have just cause to keep this meaning around :-).

Track 3 of Paul Simon's You're The One is probably my favorite song on a uniformly quiet and comforting album. It's a catchy little tune with reflective lyrics and a cryptic punchline. Maybe I'll understand it when I'm old enough.

Lyrics:

The first time I heard "Peggy Sue"
I was 12 years old
Russians up in rocket ships
And the war was cold
Now many wars have come and gone
Genocide still goes on
Buddy Holly still goes on
But his catalog was sold.

First time I smoked
Guess what? - paranoid
First time I heard "Satisfaction"
I was young and unemployed
Down the decades every year
Summer leaves and my birthday's here
And all my friends stand up and cheer
And say "Man, you're old
Getting old
Old
Getting old."

We celebrate the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day
And Buddha found Nirvana along the Lotus Way
About 1,500 years ago the messenger Mohammed spoke
And his wisdom like a river flowed
Through hills of gold
Wisdom is old
The Koran is old
The Bible is old
Greatest story ever told

Disagreements?
Work 'em out.

The human race has walked the Earth for 2.7 million
And we estimate the universe at 13, 14 billion
When all these numbers tumble into your imagination
Consider that the Lord was there before creation
God is old
We're not old
God is old
He made the mold

Spoken:
Take your clothes off
Adam and Eve


Written and arranged by Paul Simon. Reproduced without permission.

KANJI: KO furu (old)

ASCII Art Representation:

                      %%,,
                      %%%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%                 ,%%,
"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
                      %%%%
        %%,,          %%%%          ,%%,
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        "%%"                         ""

Character Etymology:

Older forms of this character reveal this to be a heavily stylized pictograph of a skull-like mask or an actual skull. A skull-like mask was worn at festivals honoring ancestor-gods, and since the ancestor-gods were people of old, the mask itself came to symbolize antiquity and hence the meaning old.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: KO
kun-yomi: furu(i) furu- -furu(su)

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: fuyu

English Definitions:

  1. KO: old.
  2. furu(i): old, aged, ancient, antiquated; stale, threadbare; outmoded, obsolete article.
  3. furu(biru): look old, get old.
  4. furu, furu-: used, second hand.
  5. furu(ku): anciently, formerly.
  6. inishie: [antiquity, ancient times.
  7. o(furu): used article.
  8. furu(mekashii): old and farmiliar.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 702
Henshall: 109

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

考古 (koukogaku): archeology.
復古 (fukko): restoration.
(furuhon'ya): used book store.
古美術品 (kobijutsuhin): and old art object.

 

  Previous: door  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: noon

What it is

"Old" is a movie written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. It was released in July of 2021, and is one of the trending "thriller/horror" movies right now (though I don't really consider it either of those things, it just needs a parent). As of November 29th, 2021, it is the 59th most popular movie on IMDB. It runs for 1 hour and 48 minutes. The premise of the movie is that a family goes on vacation, and the beach that they're on causes them to age very rapidly; the movie is essentially an exploration of the psychological "horror" that they experience from aging rapidly.

My thoughts

This was the review I posted on IMDB:

Well done, but slow to the point of being pretentious. Spoiler-free review.

If you zero in on every element in the movie, each element is very well executed. The cinematography is well-done, as is the acting. The plot has substance, the premise is unique. When you put them all together, however, there's simply not good synergy. The entire time I was watching the movie, I couldn't help but feel that something was off - and not in a deliberate tense/eerie way, but simply the composition of the movie was off a little.

The cinematography was beautiful and there were some really good shots; it wasn't that generic pseudo-artistic pretentious background blurs and random shots of the landscape. It was decent.

The characters' personalities were pretty well done and well-rounded considering there's ten (unless I am forgetting someone) main characters all introduced at roughly the same time. They didn't feel two-dimensional or generic.

The plot and premise is unique. Not original, but unique, and well-executed. It's not chalked with endless clichés and needless tropes. It is interesting. Not gripping or captivating, just interesting. The entire movie, however, feels just like a concatenation of events; this happened, then this happened, then this happened, with no real "arc" or "plot structure" to the story. It simply chronicles the physical and psychological stress the characters go through as they age. For an hour and a half, you watch simply a concatenation of events. The characters go through various traumas and issues as they age rapidly, constantly shifting the social dynamic.

I won't say any more so as to avoid spoilers; it's a good movie if you go into it without expecting there to be an "arc" or "structure"; it's a well done chronology of events and an intriguing exploration of the premise, but it simply not a good story in the sense that it does not "grip" you, it does not leave you on the edge of your seat. I give this movie a 6 out of 10. I want to give this movie a higher rating, I really do; it's well done and the acting is really good, but I can't.

 

Links

Old on IMDB

Official trailer

Old on Letterboxd

Old on Rotten Tomatoes

Old (?), n.

Open country. [Obs.] See World.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Old, a. [Compar. Older (?); superl. Oldest.] [OE. old, ald, AS. ald, eald; akin to D. oud, OS. ald, OFries. ald, old, G. alt, Goth. alpeis, and also to Goth. alan to grow up, Icel. ala to bear, produce, bring up, L. alere to nourish. Cf. Adult, Alderman, Aliment, Auld, Elder.]

1.

Not young; advanced far in years or life; having lived till toward the end of the ordinary term of living; as, an old man; an old age; an old horse; an old tree.

Let not old age disgrace my high desire. Sir P. Sidney.

The melancholy news that we grow old. Young.

2.

Not new or fresh; not recently made or produced; having existed for a long time; as, old wine; an old friendship.

"An old acquaintance."

Camden.

3.

Formerly existing; ancient; not modern; preceding; original; as, an old law; an old custom; an old promise.

"The old schools of Greece." Milton. "The character of the old Ligurians." Addison.

4.

Continued in life; advanced in the course of existence; having (a certain) length of existence; -- designating the age of a person or thing; as, an infant a few hours old; a cathedral centuries old.

And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How old art thou? Cen. xlvii. 8.

⇒ In this use old regularly follows the noun that designates the age; as, she was eight years old.

5.

Long practiced; hence, skilled; experienced; cunning; as, an old offender; old in vice.

Vane, young in years, but in sage counsel old. Milton.

6.

Long cultivated; as, an old farm; old land, as opposed to new land, that is, to land lately cleared.

7.

Worn out; weakened or exhausted by use; past usefulness; as, old shoes; old clothes.

8.

More than enough; abundant.

[Obs.]

If a man were porter of hell gate, he should have old turning the key. Shak.

9.

Aged; antiquated; hence, wanting in the mental vigor or other qualities belonging to youth; -- used disparagingly as a term of reproach.

10.

Old-fashioned; wonted; customary; as of old; as, the good old times; hence, colloquially, gay; jolly.

11.

Used colloquially as a term of cordiality and familiarity.

"Go thy ways, old lad."

Shak.

Old age, advanced years; the latter period of life. -- Old bachelor. See Bachelor, 1. -- Old Catholics. See under Catholic. -- Old English. See under English. n., 2. -- Old Nick, Old Scratch, the devil. -- Old lady Zool., a large European noctuid moth (Mormo maura). -- Old maid. (a) A woman, somewhat advanced in years, who has never been married; a spinster. (b) Bot. A West Indian name for the pink-flowered periwinkle (Vinca rosea). (c) A simple game of cards, played by matching them. The person with whom the odd card is left is the old maid. -- Old man's beard. Bot. (a) The traveler's joy (Clematis Vitalba). So named from the abundant long feathery awns of its fruit. (b) The Tillandsia usneoides. See Tillandsia. -- Old man's head Bot., a columnar cactus (Pilocereus senilis), native of Mexico, covered towards the top with long white hairs. -- Old red sandstone Geol., a series of red sandstone rocks situated below the rocks of the Carboniferous age and comprising various strata of siliceous sandstones and conglomerates. See Sandstone, and the Chart of Geology. -- Old school, a school or party belonging to a former time, or preserving the character, manner, or opinious of a former time; as, a gentleman of the old school; -- used also adjectively; as, Old-School Presbyterians. -- Old sledge, an old and well-known game of cards, called also all fours, and high, low, Jack, and the game. -- Old squaw Zool., a duck (Clangula hyemalis) inhabiting the northern parts of both hemispheres. The adult male is varied with black and white and is remarkable for the length of its tail. Called also longtailed duck, south southerly, callow, hareld, and old wife. -- Old style. Chron. See the Note under Style. -- Old Testament. See under Testament. -- Old wife. [In the senses Zool. The local name of various fishes, as the European black sea bream (Cantharus lineatus), the American alewife, etc. (c) Zool. A duck; the old squaw. -- Old World, the Eastern Hemisphere.

Syn. -- Aged; ancient; pristine; primitive; antique; antiquated; old-fashioned; obsolete. See Ancient.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.