An origin is where a tendon or a muscle enters the stationary bone in a muscle contraction. For example, in one's arm, the bicep's origin is in the upper arm.
See also: Insertion

KANJI: GEN GAN moto (origin, source)

ASCII Art Representation:

 
                                     ,%%,
      "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
 
 
 
                                            ,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,
 """""""""""""%%%%"""""""""%%%%"""""""""""""""""
              %%%%         %%%%
              %%%%         %%%%
              %%%%         %%%%
              %%%%         %%%%
              %%%%         %%%%
              %%%%         %%%%
             %%%%"         %%%%
            ,%%%%          %%%%              ,
            %%%%           %%%%              %,
           %%%%            %%%%             ,%%
         ,%%%"             %%%%,           ,%%%%
       ,%%%"               %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
   ,,%%""                   "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%"
"""""

Character Etymology:

Once written as an ideograph showing a person with an exaggerated head. This symbolized the upper part or prime part, and by extension the origin. Like in English when speaking figuratively: the head of the line is from whence the line extends.

The character was later stylized and a second top stroke was added for emphasis.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: GEN GAN
kun-yomi: moto

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: chika hajime haru yuki yoshi

English Definitions:

  1. GAN, GEN: yuan; origin; New Year's Day; first year of an era.
  2. GEN: Mongol (dynasty).
  3. moto: beginning, origin; foundation, basis, source; cause; root (of a tree); (raw) material, base, capital; [principal; cost; forebears; formerly.
  4. moto(yori): originally; of course.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 343
Henshall: 106

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(genki): good health
(ganrai): originally, logically, naturally, essentialy.
(motokin, gankin): capital, principle.
(ganjitsu): New Year's Day.
(motode): funds, capital, stock.
元道理 (motodouri): as before.

 

  Previous: measure  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: primitive

Also a six part mini-series that tells the beginnings of Marvel Comic's Wolverine.
Despite some fan protests, Marvel decided now was the time to finally reveal Wolverine's past, after 27 years. One of their key motivations was the fact that they wanted to tell the tale of Wolverine's history before Hollywood did it for them.
As fans know, the X-men movie ended with the Wolverine character going off to find out about his past, and with a sequel coming out in the following years, Marvel decided it would be best to tell it now before some script writer makes it up for them.
Oh yes, and I'm sure the fact that it's going to be a collector's item, and sell extremely well had nothing to do with their motivation. :)

Origin is the long awaited comic book mini-series published by Marvel that reveals Wolverine's past. The last of the six part series came out last week. Currently Origin #1 is selling for $45US. That's a hell of a lot considering that it hit the shelves earlier this year.

The comic is written by veteran David Finch, -- also known for Darkness, Aphrodite XI, and much more -- and the comic's excellent artwork is done by Andy Kubert, who was also the artist for X-Men in the early 90s, around the time that Joe Madueira started on X-Men too.

Origin begins Wolverine's life as a young child in Alberta and ends when he is a grown man in British Columbia. The characters? I'll put it very simply: There's a deranged mother, a kindhearted father, an evil grandfather, a red-haired playmate named Rose, a scary yardman (who mysteriously looks exactly like a grown-up Wolverine, and whose name is Logan), and the yardman's son named Dog. Oh yes, and what's Wolverine's name? It's James.

I don't want to ruin the story for anyone so I will just say that overall it was a very good comic. Though it seemed to lag at around issue #4 and #5 when it just seemed like that the writer was just trying to fill up space to get to the good ending. The story basically includes everything, action, tragedy, romance, jealousy, irony... What more can one ask for? It also explains how Wolverine got his name, Wolverine, and why he calls himself Logan.

I suggest anyone who is a hardcore fan of Wolverine who doesn't have this series yet to get it! And to any X-Men fans who love Wolvie to get it too. The only problem is, that it's hard to find because everytime it hits the shelves it's sold out in a few minutes. So I suggest waiting for the Trade Paper Back or borrow it off someone you know, if they'll let you.

Or"i*gin (?), n. [F. origine, L. origo, -iginis, fr. oriri to rise, become visible; akin to Gr. to stir up, rouse, Skr. r, and perh. to E. run.]

1.

The first existence or beginning of anything; the birth.

This mixed system of opinion and sentiment had its origin in the ancient chivalry. Burke.

2.

That from which anything primarily proceeds; the fountain; the spring; the cause; the occasion.

3. Anat.

The point of attachment or end of a muscle which is fixed during contraction; -- in contradistinction to insertion.

Origin of coordinate axes Math., the point where the axes intersect. See Note under Ordinate.

Syn. -- Commencement; rise; source; spring; fountain; derivation; cause; root; foundation. -- Origin, Source. Origin denotes the rise or commencement of a thing; source presents itself under the image of a fountain flowing forth in a continuous stream of influences. The origin of moral evil has been much disputed, but no one can doubt that it is the source of most of the calamities of our race.

I think he would have set out just as he did, with the origin of ideas -- the proper starting point of a grammarian, who is to treat of their signs. Tooke.

Famous Greece, That source of art and cultivated thought Which they to Rome, and Romans hither, brought. Waller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.