Par"a*graph (?), n. [F. paragraphe, LL. paragraphus, fr. Gr. (sc. ) a line or stroke drawn in the margin, fr. to write beside; beside + to write. See Para-, and Graphic, and cf. Paraph.]

1.

Originally, a marginal mark or note, set in the margin to call attention to something in the text, e. g., a change of subject; now, the character , commonly used in the text as a reference mark to a footnote, or to indicate the place of a division into sections.

This character is merely a modification of a capital P (the initial of the word paragraph), the letter being reversed, and the black part made white and the white part black for the sake of distinctiveness.

2.

A distinct part of a discourse or writing; any section or subdivision of a writing or chapter which relates to a particular point, whether consisting of one or many sentences. The division is sometimes noted by the mark , but usually, by beginning the first sentence of the paragraph on a new line and at more than the usual distance from the margin.

3.

A brief composition complete in one typographical section or paragraph; an item, remark, or quotation comprised in a few lines forming one paragraph; as, a column of news paragraphs; an editorial paragraph.

 

© Webster 1913.


Par"a*graph, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Paragraphed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Paragraphing.]

1.

To divide into paragraphs; to mark with the character ¶.

2.

To express in the compass of a paragraph; as, to paragraph an article.

3.

To mention in a paragraph or paragraphs

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.