The partisan is a medieval polearm. It consists of a staff of about 8 feet in length with a long double edged spear blade with two diagonal flukes at the base. The flukes are designed to catch and break an opponent's weapon.

Partisans have large heads, and often feature engraving and various other ornamentations. This weapon is used most often in a formation of troops. As its length makes it unwieldy in open combats.

Par"ti*san (?), n. [F., fr. It. partigiano. See Party, and cf. Partisan a truncheon.] [Written also partizan.]

1.

An adherent to a party or faction; esp., one who is strongly and passionately devoted to a party or an interest.

"The violence of a partisan."

Macaulay.

Both sides had their partisans in the colony. Jefferson.

2. Mil. (a)

The commander of a body of detached light troops engaged in making forays and harassing an enemy.

(b)

Any member of such a corps.

 

© Webster 1913.


Par"ti*san, a. [Written also partizan.]

1.

Adherent to a party or faction; especially, having the character of blind, passionate, or unreasonable adherence to a party; as, blinded by partisan zeal.

2. Mil.

Serving as a partisan in a detached command; as, a partisan officer or corps.

Partisan ranger Mil., a member of a partisan corps.

 

© Webster 1913.


Par"ti*san, n. [F. pertuisane, prob. fr. It. partigiana, influenced in French by OF. pertuisier to pierce. It was prob. so named as the weapon of some partisans, or party men. Cf. Partisan one of a corps of light troops.]

A kind of halberd or pike; also, a truncheon; a staff.

And make him with our pikes and partisans a grave. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.