INGREDIENTS:

  • one large red onion, cut into chunks
  • four to five cloves of fresh garlic, crushed (according to personal taste)
  • two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • one large red pepper, de-seeded and cut into large chunks
  • one large yellow pepper, deseeded, and cut into large chunks
  • 250g button mushrooms, washed & halved
  • one small courgette, sliced & halved
  • half a small aubergine, cut into bite-sized chunks, salted, and rinsed
  • small handful of pine nuts
  • salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 - 5 tablespoons basil pesto (according to personal taste)
  • one small carton (250ml) of fresh cream
  • 400g dried fusilli pasta
  • grated parmesan cheese (for garnishing)
  • WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM:

    Place the roughly chopped vegetables in a roasting tray, sprinke over the garlic and pine nuts, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the olive oil over the vegetables and toss together in the roasting tray to ensure all the vegetables are thinly coated in the oil and seasoning. Place in a preheated oven (180 degrees Celcius) for 20 - 30 minutes until the vegetables are roasted and tender.

    Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water, according to the instructions on the packet, until the pasta is al dente. In a separate pan, pour in the cream and heat gently. Add the pesto to the cream while heating, stirring all the time, until the pesto has thoroughly blended with the cream, tasting to adjust seasoning and desired amount of pesto. Add the roasted vegetables to the pesto-cream mixture and heat gently for two to three minutes until the mixture is heated through. Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and mix to combine. Serve the pasta on pre-heated plates with plenty of grated parmesan cheese.

    Serve the pasta with a small green salad and plenty of hot, crusty garlic bread for a delicious, warming meal (though admittedly, not one for those watching their weight!)

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.