If, like me, you are sometimes lazy and live in an old house that lacks a Genesis Cave, you sometimes have to improvise your meals from whatever ingredients are available. This process of forage and synthesis, though often doomed to failure, will on occasion yield something both yummy and repeatable.

Two days ago, it yielded the peanut butter burrito. As you might suspect, this is essentially nothing more than a burrito made with peanut butter instead of Mexican food. I do, however, have a few tips to relate regarding construction:

  1. Use crunchy, not creamy peanut butter. The peanut chunks provide some structure.
  2. Lay the peanut butter down first. It will hold additional ingredients in place and prevent jelly bleed-through, a common problem with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. This is much the same as putting your refried beans in a taco before adding meat.
  3. As any sufficiently large random sample of people will tell you, all kinds of junk goes with peanut butter. Experiment. Here are some recommended ingredients:

The advantages of the peanut butter burrito over its cousin, the peanut butter sammich, are legion. Most stem from the unique properties of the tortilla as a flatbread, but one should note also that a burrito is more fully enclosed than a sammich. The full implications of these differences are left as an exercise to the reader.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.