An italian cheese made with whole sheep milk.

The two main protected denominations are "Pecorino Sardo" (from Sardegna) and Romano (from the region around Rome).

Sardo comes in the sweet (aged 20-60 days) and sharp (aged in special rooms for at least 4 months) varieties; the sweet variety is eaten directly while the sharp variety can also be grated. Sardo is more flavourful than Romano (both have their fans, however).

Cacio e pepe

For 4 people:
1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
4 level teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fusilli pasta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Put the Pecorino Romano cheese in a large bowl and toss with the pepper. In a large pan, bring to the boil 5 quarts of salted water, add the fusilli and cook until just done. Drain the fusilli, keep aside 3/4 cup of the boiling water. Add the fusilli to the bowl of cheese and toss, adding a little of the water if needed to keep the fusilli moist. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

Grapes, Pears and Pecorino Sardo

For 6 people:
400 gr. (about a pound) sharp Pecorino Sardo
400 gr. (about a pound) moscato grapes
6 "William" Pears
Wash and separate the grapes in small portions.
Peel and Slice the pears.
Cut the pecorino in thin slivers

Serve by nicely disposing in each dish the grapes and pears topped with pecorino slivers.

You can accompany with a moscato wine, or with a dry, alcoholic, soft red.


Sources: http://www.pecorinoromano.net; http://www.pecorinosardo.it

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.