A term in gymnastics used to express the act of flying off the high bar at a high velocity without the express intent of doing so. One usually peels when one's grips aren't tightened or have too much/too little chalk on them. Peeling is very unexpected, usually happening near the end of a turn cycle, and there is almost always no warning before peeling. One simply shoots off the bar, hitting the ground before there's even a chance to absorb the fall through the legs. Though peels are rather unnerving, they're usually harmless if there's proper padding around the base of the bar, but they can be dangerous right before a dismount since one will involuntarily start rotating and the end result might be a broken neck.

Peel (?), n. [OE. pel. Cf. Pile a heap.]

A small tower, fort, or castle; a keep.

[Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Peel, n. [F. pelle, L. pala.]

A spadelike implement, variously used, as for removing loaves of bread from a baker's oven; also, a T-shaped implement used by printers and bookbinders for hanging wet sheets of paper on lines or poles to dry. Also, the blade of an oar.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peel, v. t. [Confused with peel to strip, but fr. F. piller to pillage. See Pill to rob, Pillage.]

To plunder; to pillage; to rob.

[Obs.]

But govern ill the nations under yoke, Peeling their provinces. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peel, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Peeled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Peeling.] [F. peler to pull out the hair, to strip, to peel, fr. L. pilare to deprive of hair, fr. pilus a hair; or perh. partly fr. F. peler to peel off the skin, perh. fr. L. pellis skin (cf. Fell skin). Cf. Peruke.]

1.

To strip off the skin, bark, or rind of; to strip by drawing or tearing off the skin, bark, husks, etc.; to flay; to decorticate; as, to peel an orange.

The skillful shepherd peeled me certain wands. Shak.

2.

To strip or tear off; to remove by stripping, as the skin of an animal, the bark of a tree, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peel, v. i.

To lose the skin, bark, or rind; to come off, as the skin, bark, or rind does; -- often used with an adverb; as, the bark peels easily or readily.

 

© Webster 1913.


Peel, n.

The skin or rind; as, the peel of an orange.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.