"Pegging" is the new word for the sexual act involving a woman with a strap-on dildo and a man's anus. Dan Savage featured a vote in his weekly sex advice column between the choices "bob", "punt", and "peg", and peg came out on top. One reader wondered why a gender-specific term was needed at all, (by contrast with fisting or fucking), but answered her own question by implying that homophobic men would feel more comfortable with a term that let people know that even though they were taking it up the ass, they weren't actually gay. Dan Savage's column can be found in the Village Voice and the Onion's A.V. Club, among other places.

A peg is a long cylendrical object protruding from the side of a BMX bike. Pegs are made from plastic, steel or aluminum depending on it's intended use. Plastic is not commonly used due to it's weakness, but plastic pegs are still occasionally included on low-end consumer bikes. Steel is used for street and ramp riding, they are normally 3.5"-5" long and are from 2"-3" in diameter. Steel pegs are also normally very smooth, or have only a few slight grooves in them, this is to allow for a slicker grinding surface. Aluminum pegs are used mainly for flatland riding and are normally much wider then street pegs, to provide a more comfortable surface to stand on. They are usually knurled or treaded to provide better grip for your shoes. There are also now hybrid pegs which consist of an aluminum core with a steel sleve pressed over it. This is to reduce weight while maintaining strength.

Pegs were first developed at the start of freestyle riding in the 70s. They were plastic rectangular platforms which were attached to forks half way down and were used in flatland to stand on during tricks. They were often flip-up pegs, which could be folded up to align with the fork. Before long, pegs moved down to the axles of the wheels. They were normally threaded and would tighten down directly onto the axle. Unfortunately this design was weak, and caused axles to bend. Pegs then became simply tubes welded onto thick washers, and a nut was tightened down inside the peg onto the axle to hold it in place. This was a much stronger design and is what is used today.

The most common peg configurations are two pegs on the same side of the bike, one in front and one in back, or full pegs, with a peg on both sides of both wheels. There are also some odd configurations of pegs to be found, one of them is having 6 pegs, two on both wheels, but instead of having cranks in the bottom bracket of the bike, there are two pegs coming out of that also. This is generally used for flatland only riding, as it is hard to get speed without pedaling.

Another feature that some pegs have now are anti-roll pins, or washers. Usually just a small rod welded onto the inside of the peg, but sometimes inter-locking washer systems, these are designed to keep the peg from spinning while grinding on it. It can be usefull, but it also allows your peg to come loose without being noticable, and then the axle is subjected to the possibility of bending or snapping.

While pegs might seem like a simple thing, they have come a long way, and are used in many ways for many types of riding.

Peg (?), n. [OE. pegge; cf. Sw. pigg, Dan. pig a point, prickle, and E. peak.]

1.

A small, pointed piece of wood, used in fastening boards together, in attaching the soles of boots or shoes, etc.; as, a shoe peg.

2.

A wooden pin, or nail, on which to hang things, as coats, etc. Hence, colloquially and figuratively: A support; a reason; a pretext; as, a peg to hang a claim upon.

3.

One of the pins of a musical instrument, on which the strings are strained. Shak.

4.

One of the pins used for marking points on a cribbage board.

5.

A step; a degree; esp. in the slang phrase "To take one down peg."

To screw papal authority to the highest peg.
Barrow.

And took your grandess down a peg.
Hudibras.

Peg ladder, a ladder with but one standard, into which cross pieces are inserted. --
Peg tankard, an ancient tankard marked with pegs, so as divide the liquor into equal portions. "Drink down to your peg." Longfellow. --
Peg tooth. See Fleam tooth under Fleam. --
Peg top, a boy's top which is spun by throwing it. --
Screw peg, a small screw without a head, for fastening soles.

 

© Webster 1913


Peg (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pegged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Pegging (?).]

1.

To put pegs into; to fasten the parts of with pegs; as, to peg shoes; to confine with pegs; to restrict or limit closely.

I will rend an oak
And peg thee in his knotty entrails.
Shak.

2. (Cribbage)

To score with a peg, as points in the game; as, she pegged twelwe points. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Peg, v. i.

To work diligently, as one who pegs shoes; -- usually with on, at, or away; as, to peg away at a task.

 

© Webster 1913


Peg, n.

A drink of spirits, usually whisky or brandy diluted with soda water. [India]

This over, the club will be visted for a "peg," Anglice drink.
Harper's Mag.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.