In computer graphics, the term photon mapping (also called photon tracing) is a technique used to illuminate a 3D scene. It is similar to radiosity in that it starts out with the light sources in the scene, and traces the light's absorptions and interactions before it reaches a low enough energy to be ignored. Classic radiosity techniques, however, can not be applied to scenes with specular lighting; mirrors, glass objects, etc. (although some tricks have been applied with some success). Furthermore, regular radiosity will only track the light by projecting it from polygon based surfaces, and will not work for some of the other types of objects, such as spheres, toruses, and other parametric surfaces.

Photon mapping to the rescue!

Algorithmically speaking, photon mapping has some similarities to ray tracing, since the mathematics behind the engines are almost identical. Photon mappers follows individual photons (roughly speaking) around in the scene, bouncing of mirrors and other reflective surfaces, bending through refractive surfaces such as glass, and finally hitting a single spot in 3D space, much like a ray tracer follows the rays projected by the "camera".

When one of these "virtual photons" hits an absorbing surface, it needs to colorize or light it. To store this information, the majority of the photon tracer implementations directly modify the texture associated with the hit surface, making it easy to e.g. export the new texture maps again, and have a "pre-lit" model of the scene that can be used by another 3D engine.

The reason photon mapping isn't more commonly in use is that it is a very CPU intensive task. Or, more correctly, the more rendering time you put into it, the better the result. You can trace 100 photons bouncing around the room in very little CPU time, but it wouldn't look very nice - only small points of light where the photons finally hit something. But if you just leave it running for a few hours, the "dots" will eventually even out, and you will end up with nice, smoothly lit surfaces.

Some tricks and effects that photon mapping is good for:

  • Lighting can be influenced by bump maps, such as the dance of light on the bottom of a pool.
  • Diffraction: Every time a photon hits a refracting surface, split it in three (or more) photons of different color and use a slightly different index of refraction for each of them. This will give a very realistic diffraction effect, similar to what you see when white light hits a prism; rainbows.

See also: POV-Ray, Monte Carlo Simulation

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.