In British English, a term for cheap wine, on the cusp between drinkable and undrinkable, appropriate for everyday drinking or taking to parties - the range covers the ground between Liebfraumilch and Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon, not excluding a number of carefully marketed nondescript vins de table like Hirondelle and Piat d'Or.

plokta = P = plug-and-pray

plonk excl.,vt.

[Usenet: possibly influenced by British slang `plonk' for cheap booze, or `plonker' for someone behaving stupidly (latter is lit. equivalent to Yiddish `schmuck')] The sound a newbie makes as he falls to the bottom of a kill file. While it originated in the newsgroup talk.bizarre, this term (usually written "*plonk*") is now (1994) widespread on Usenet as a form of public ridicule.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

In England, plonk can also be used as a verb. To plonk something is to set it down without care, eg;

"Kevin plonked his pint down on the bar, thus spilling most of the contents."

It is thought that this use comes either from to plank, which meant to lay money down on the table as part of a wager, or as Oolong has discovered, possibly originated in the late 19th Century as part of a local dialect and should be compared with plunk.

Another possible derivative used in the UK is plonker

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.