Poise (?), n. [OE. pois, peis, OF. pois, peis, F. poids, fr. L. pensum a portion weighed out, pendere to weigh, weigh out. Cf. Avoirdupois, Pendant, Poise, v.] [Formerly written also peise.]

1.

Weight; gravity; that which causes a body to descend; heaviness.

"Weights of an extraordinary poise."

Evelyn. <-- Obsolete? -->

2.

The weight, or mass of metal, used in weighing, to balance the substance weighed.

3.

The state of being balanced by equal weight or power; equipoise; balance; equilibrium; rest.

Bentley.

4.

That which causes a balance; a counterweight.

Men of unbounded imagination often want the poise of judgment. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Poise (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Poised, (); p. pr. & vb. n. Poising.] [OE. poisen, peisen, OF. & F. peser, to weigh, balance, OF. il peise, il poise, he weighs, F. il pese, fr. L. pensare, v. intens. fr. pendere to weigh. See Poise, n., and cf. Pensive.] [Formerly written also peise.]

1.

To balance; to make of equal weight; as, to poise the scales of a balance.

2.

To hold or place in equilibrium or equiponderance.

Nor yet was earth suspended in the sky; Nor poised, did on her own foundation lie. Dryden.

3.

To counterpoise; to counterbalance.

One scale of reason to poise another of sensuality. Shak.

To poise with solid sense a sprightly wit. Dryden.

4.

To ascertain, as by the balance; to weigh.

He can not sincerely consider the strength, poise the weight, and discern the evidence. South.

5.

To weigh (down); to oppress.

[Obs.]

Lest leaden slumber peise me down to-morrow. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Poise, v. i.

To hang in equilibrium; to be balanced or suspended; hence, to be in suspense or doubt.

The slender, graceful spars Poise aloft in air. Longfellow.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.