First look at the statement in the Intermediate Value Theorem writeup. Since we are going to use the fact that f is continuous at a point p in the proof twice let us restate the definition here.

Given any e>0 there exists a d>0 such that |f(x)-f(p)|<e for all x such that |x-p|<d.

Consider the set X={x in [a,b] : f(x)<=0}. Now X is nonempty (since a is in it) and b is an upper bound. Thus, if we define c=sup X then we know that c exists and is finite. So our aim is to prove that f(c)=0.

Suppose that f(c) > 0. Continuity at c tells us that, given some e > 0 we have a d > 0 such that f(x) > f(c)-e for all x with x > c-d and x < c-d.

There are two things to note, firstly we can choose e as small as we like, so f(x) > 0 in this range. Second, by the definition of c we have f(x) > 0, as soon as x > c. Thus, we have f(x) > 0 for all x with x > c-d. It follows that c is not the supremum after all, a contradiction.

Likewise suppose that f(c) < 0. This time continuity tells us that for any e > 0 we can choose a d > 0 such that f(c+d) < f(c)+e. Choosing e small enough, we have f(c+d) < 0. This again contradicts the choice of c.

Thus we have f(c)=0. Finally, c really is in the open interval since f(a) and f(b) are nonzero, by assumption.


If one knows something about the connectedness property then one can give a rather shorter proof. But this relies on proving things about connectedness which again use similar arguments to the above.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.