It is a static IRC bouncer written by psychoid. By 'static', I mean that it always stays up, even when the user is not connected, just like muh. Of course, the psyBNC must be on a box that is always online. It is useful for the people who want a client always on IRC, but do not have a permanent connection. It can therefore be used to keep channels, keep messages for the user when he is not connected or keeping your nickname so that it is not stolen (on networks where there is no Nickserv, like IRCNet and Efnet).

Its principal features are:

  • multiple users on a single process, to save background processes on accounts where they are limited.
  • It supports IPv6, so that you can have cool hostnames without having to pay for one on shell accounts
  • It allows vhosts, so that you can have cool hostnames (if the box where it is running supports them)
  • A partyline (a channel named &partyline) so that the users of the same psyBNC can talk to each other without going trough the IRC server.
  • It can be linked to other psyBNCs, allowing a shared partyline.
  • Connections to multiple servers, enabling the user to be on two or more different IRC networks using only one client.
  • Automatic loggingin into eggdrops using DCC Chat
  • Ops itself when it is deopped on a channel, by two means:
    • less secure: /msg <nick_of_a_friendly_psyBNC_or_eggdrop> op <password> <channel>
    • most secure: DCC Chat with an eggdrop.
  • Connection and Talk encryption using (in the latest version: 2.3) SSL. This is a very nice feature: You connection cannot be sniffed.
  • A translation module.. It is just a little frontend to babelfish, but can be quite useful if you go on foreign channels.
  • It can be scripted. The scripting language is BASH :)
  • Multi-lingual

psyBNC runs on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris 6, 7 and 8.
It can be configurated without difficulties:
for every address/port where you want it to listen, add the following lines to psybnc.conf:
PSYBNC.SYSTEM.HOSTn=ip
PSYBNC.SYSTEM.PORTn=port
(replace n with a number.. the first one being 1)
You should also name your psyBNC, especially if you plan to link it to others, by adding this line to the configuration file: PSYBNC.SYSTEM.ME=name

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.