I find pushups to be a great way to build up the size of your chest, shoulders, and arms. They can get old though, like a lecture from your parents about sex--boring and ineffective. The following is a list of different ways you can do pushups to give your upper body a complete workout.

Step-up Pushup

How:
Position yourself at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Move your left hand onto the first step, then move your right hand up. Hold for 2 seconds. Move your left hand to the floor and then your right. Do three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions. Don't try to make the exercise more difficult by adding a standard pushup at the end of the move.
What it does:
This strengthens your rotator cuffs by calling on the shoulder muscles to hold your body in place as you move up and down the steps.

Staggered Pushup

How:
Place one hand even with your shoulders and the other one 6 inches forward, so it's in line with your ear. Don't move them farther apart or you'll risk injury. Lower yourself and do three sets of 10 repetitions. Change your arm position after every five.
What it does:
This builds your back and abdominal muscles as they try to stabilize your spine.

Three-point Pushup

How:
Place one foot on the heel of the other, so that your body is positioned on three points. Lower your body and do three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions. Switch legs halfway through the set.
What it does:
This emphasizes the chest, shoulders, and triceps. With your body on three points, you up the weight each muscles has to push.

Rotation Pushup

How:
From the down position, push your body up. Pick up your right arm and twist your torso to the right. Reach your right hand toward the ceiling. Bring down your arm and then lower your body. Do 10 repetitions, alternating the arm you lift.
What it does:
Your upper back and rear shoulder muscles work harder to steady you.
The Push-up was a popsicle-like treat. It looked like a colored toilet paper tube filled with frozen yogurt or sherbet. From one end protruded a thin plastic stick. As you ate the frozen yogurt you would use the stick to "push up" some more.

There were orange flavored ones and razzberry flavored ones — no chocolate or vanilla ones. I'm told by WonkoDSane that they are still produced.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.