The nickname for the $0.25 coin in Canada and other countries. The Canadian Quarter is about 1.75cm wide by 2mm thick and is silvery. The back features a Caribou. The edge has ridges perpendicular to the faces.

Penny|Nickel|Dime|Quarter|Looney|Twoney
quantum bogodynamics = Q = ques

quarter n.

Two bits. This in turn comes from the `pieces of eight' famed in pirate movies -- Spanish silver crowns that could be broken into eight pie-slice-shaped `bits' to make change. Early in American history the Spanish coin was considered equal to a dollar, so each of these `bits' was considered worth 12.5 cents. Syn. tayste, crumb, quad. Usage: rare. General discussion of such terms is under nybble.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

There are two basic varieties of quarter currently circulating in the United States. This node will be dedicated to describing them in detail so that future generations will know what they look like if they don't happen to have one handy for some reason. Both varieties are silver in color and are made from what the mint (http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/index.cfm) calls "cupro-nickel clad, with a pure copper core, and an outer layer of a 75 percent copper, 25 percent nickel alloy." Extremely old quarters (especially from the 1950's and before), however, are made from pure silver and are differentiable by way of the clearer sound that they produce when struck or flipped. Based on my own measurements with a ruler, the quarter is around 34 millimeters in diameter and somewhere in the range of 1.25 millimeters thick. There are small ridges all along the edge, which is usually more copper in color than the rest of the coin.

The older sort of quarter, which for brevity's sake I'll simply refer to as the normal quarter, features the portrait of George Washington on the side known as the head of the coin. In said portrait, Washington is shown facing left in profile. His hair is somewhat slicked back and forms a ring of curls around the base of his skull as well as a widow's peak on his forehead. He also has a tail of hair running down his neck fastened with a subtle bow. His nose is vaguely Roman in shape and although it is hard to tell, he may be smirking. The portrait ends at the base of his neck. Directly below this is printed the year of the coin's minting, which is slightly bowed in order to conform to the curve of the coin. Just under Washington's chin are the words, "In God we trust," printed in all capitals like everything else on the coin with "In God we" on the first line and "trust" directly under it. Above Washington's head is the word, "Liberty," which again is bowed to conform to the curve of the coin. Just to the right of the bow on the back of his neck is either the letter D or the letter P, used to denote the mint of origin (either Denver or Philadelphia) for the particular coin. The tail side of the coin features an eagle facing forward with wings spread whose head is turned to the left. It appears to be resting with its feet on a bundle of arrows that are tied together. Below this, running from wing to wing are two of what I think are olive branches whose stems are tied just under the eagle's feet. Above the eagle's head are the Latin words, "E pluribus unum" meaning literally "out of many, one." "E pluribus" is on one line and unum is on the next. These and all other letters on the tail side of the coin are bowed in order to conform to the curve of the coin. Above that are the words "United States of America," which is printed all on one line. Under the olive branches are the value of the coin, "Quarter dollar." All printing on the tail side of the quarter is upside down with respect to the head side of the quarter such that if you look at Washington right side up the eagle will be upside down and vice versa. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the normal quarter.

The other variety is the fifty state quarter. The head side of this coin features the same George Washington portrait as the normal quarter, although none of the printing is the same. Under Washington's chin is the word "Liberty," again in all caps like the rest of the printing on the coin. Under the portrait are the words "Quarter dollar," which are again curved, as is "United States of America," which appears above Washington's head. The mint marking is a little farther to the right on this quarter, and above it is the inscription, "In God we trust," with "in" on the first line, "God we" on the second, and "trust" on the third. The tail side of this coin is extremely variable, as a number of different versions are planned for it; one for each state in the union. The name of the state appears at the top, curved, under which is the year of the state's induction into the union, also curved. At the bottom is "E pluribus unum" in very small bowed letters, over which is the year of minting. The main illustration on the tail side is the most variable part, however, and I'll simply catalog the dominant features here, as the years of entry have been covered by another node (see Fifty State Quarters). Connecticut features a large tree which appears to be leafless. Delaware features a man on a galloping horse facing left, to the left of which is the inscription, "Caesar Rodney" and to the right of which is the inscription, "The first state." Pennsylvania features a statue of a woman holding what appears to be a ribboned mace in her left hand with her right hand extended outward. She is wearing a classical robe. Behind her is an outline of the state, at the northwest corner of which is the outline of a keystone]. To the right of the statue is the inscription, "Virtue Liberty Independence," each appearing on separate lines. New Jersey features a replica of the famous painting, "Washington crossing the Delaware," under which is the inscription, "Crossroads of the revolution." Georgia features a peach over the outline of the state with leaved branches curving to the right and left and the words "Wisdom, Justice, Moderation" on sections of ribbon above the peach. Massachusetts features a minuteman over the outline of the state, to the right of which is the inscription, "The bay state." Maryland features the dome of its statehouse, around which appear the words "The old line state," on alternating sides of the dome and different lines. White oak leaves curve around the sides, framing the picture. South Carolina features a wren perched on a yellow jessamine branch next to a palmetto tree, all superimposed over the outline of the state and capped by the inscription "The palmetto state" that appears over the wren's head. From left to right, the New Hampshire quarter features nine stars in a curved line, the inscription "Live free or die," and the rock formation called the old man of the mountain, which is labeled accordingly. Virginia features a group of three ships on the sea with the closest and largest being the one on the right and size decreasing to the left. Below this is the word, "Quadricentennial," and above and to the left of it is "Jamestown 1607-2007." New York features the Statue of Liberty over the outline of the state and next to the words, "Gateway to Freedom." There are four stars to the left of this and seven to the right. North Carolina features the words, "First flight" over a picture of the Wright Brothers' plane over the beach at Kitty Hawk with a figure in the foreground observing said flight. Rhode Island features a sailboat on the water in front of a suspension bridge, with the words "The ocean state" above and to the right. Vermont features a figure extracting syrup from two maple trees in front of some mountains with the words, "Freedom and Unity" to the right. That is all of them, at least until the mint releases more.

U.S. dimes, quarters, half-dollars, and dollar coins were made of 90% silver, 10% copper until 1965. Pure silver is much too soft to use for circulation coins (almost all silver jewellery and tableware is alloyed too), and is tarnished by sulpher. Many people were quite upset when the U.S. Mint switched to base metals, and some of them withdrew hundreds of dollars of quarters to hoard -- I inherited a brick-sized box-full from my grandfather, and I'm sure there are rolls of them in attics all over the U.S. This should keep old coins around, if not in circulation, for a while longer.

In 1980, when inflation and the Hunt Brothers caused a huge demand for silver, the metal value in old coins was higher than the face value, so many people sold their quarters, at high profit, to be melted down. Silver was about $4.40/oz in February 2002, but supply seems to be getting lower and demand higher, so there might be another crunch. Enjoy 'em while you got 'em.

Quar"ter (?), n. [F. quartier, L. quartarius a fourth part, fr. quartus the fourth. See Quart.]

1.

One of four equal parts into which anything is divided, or is regarded as divided; a fourth part or portion; as, a quarter of a dollar, of a pound, of a yard, of an hour, etc.

Hence, specifically: (a)

The fourth of a hundred-weight, being 25 or 28 pounds, according as the hundredweight is reckoned at 100 or 112 pounds

. (b)

The fourth of a ton in weight, or eight bushels of grain; as, a quarter of wheat; also, the fourth part of a chaldron of coal

. Hutton. (c) Astron.

The fourth part of the moon's period, or monthly revolution; as, the first quarter after the change or full

. (d)

One limb of a quadruped with the adjacent parts; one fourth part of the carcass of a slaughtered animal, including a leg; as, the fore quarters; the hind quarters

. (e)

That part of a boot or shoe which forms the side, from the heel to the vamp

. (f) Far.

That part on either side of a horse's hoof between the toe and heel, being the side of the coffin

. (g)

A term of study in a seminary, college, etc, etc.; properly, a fourth part of the year, but often longer or shorter.

(h) pl. Mil.

The encampment on one of the principal passages round a place besieged, to prevent relief and intercept convoys

. (i) Naut.

The after-part of a vessel's side, generally corresponding in extent with the quarter-deck; also, the part of the yardarm outside of the slings

. (j) Her.

One of the divisions of an escutcheon when it is divided into four portions by a horizontal and a perpendicular line meeting in the fess point.

When two coats of arms are united upon one escutcheon, as in case of marriage, the first and fourth quarters display one shield, the second and third the other. See Quarter, v. t., 5.

(k) One of the four parts into which the horizon is regarded as divided; a cardinal point; a direction' principal division; a region; a territory.

Scouts each coast light-armed scour, Each quarter, to descry the distant foe. Milton.

(l)

A division of a town, city, or county; a particular district; a locality; as, the Latin quarter in Paris

. (m) Arch.

A small upright timber post, used in partitions; -- in the United States more commonly called stud.

(n) Naut.

The fourth part of the distance from one point of the compass to another, being the fourth part of 11° 15�xb7;, that is, about 2° 49�xb7;; -- called also quarter point.

<-- (o) One fourth of a dollar, i.e. twenty five cents. Also, the twenty-five cent piece. Also called a quarter dollar, and two bits -->

2.

Proper station; specific place; assigned position; special location.

Swift to their several quarters hasted then The cumbrous elements. Milton.

Hence, specifically: (a) Naut.

A station at which officers and men are posted in battle; -- usually in the plural

. (b)

Place of lodging or temporary residence; shelter; entertainment; -- usually in the plural

.

The banter turned as to what quarters each would find. W. Irving.

(c) pl. Mil.

A station or encampment occupied by troops; a place of lodging for soldiers or officers; as, winter quarters

. (d)

Treatment shown by an enemy; mercy; especially, the act of sparing the life a conquered enemy; a refraining from pushing one's advantage to extremes

.

He magnified his own clemency, now they were at his mercy, to offer them quarter for their lives. Clarendon.

Cocks and lambs . . . at the mercy of cats and wolves . . . must never expect better quarter. L'Estrange.

3.

Friendship; amity; concord.

[Obs.] To keep quarter, to keep one's proper place, and so be on good terms with another. [Obs.] <-- ## abnormal format. Shold be a collocataion. -->

In quarter, and in terms like bride and groom. Shak.

I knew two that were competitors for the secretary's place, . . . and yet kept good quarter between themselves. Bacon.

False quarter, a cleft in the quarter of a horse's foot. -- Fifth quarter, the hide and fat; -- a butcher's term. -- On the quarter Naut., in a direction between abeam and astern; opposite, or nearly opposite, a vessel's quarter. -- Quarter aspect. Astrol. Same as Quadrate. -- Quarter back Football, the player who has position next behind center rush, and receives the ball on the snap back. -- Quarter badge Naut., an ornament on the side of a vessel near, the stern. Mar. Dict. -- Quarter bill Naut., a list specifying the different stations to be taken by the officers and crew in time of action, and the names of the men assigned to each. -- Quarter block Naut., a block fitted under the quarters of a yard on each side of the slings, through which the clew lines and sheets are reeved. R. H. Dana, Jr. -- Quarter boat Naut., a boat hung at a vessel's quarter. -- Quarter cloths Naut., long pieces of painted canvas, used to cover the quarter netting. -- Quarter day, a day regarded as terminating a quarter of the year; hence, one on which any payment, especially rent, becomes due. In matters influenced by United States statutes, quarter days are the first days of January, April, July, and October. In New York and many other places, as between landlord and tenant, they are the first days of May, August, November, and February. The quarter days usually recognized in England are 25th of March (Lady Day), the 24th of June (Midsummer Day), the 29th of September (Michaelmas Day), and the 25th of December (Christmas Day). -- Quarter face, in fine arts, portrait painting, etc., a face turned away so that but one quarter is visible. -- Quarter gallery Naut., a balcony on the quarter of a ship. See Gallery, 4. -- Quarter gunner Naut., a petty officer who assists the gunner. -- Quarter look, a side glance. [Obs.] B. Jonson. -- Quarter nettings Naut., hammock nettings along the quarter rails. -- Quarter note Mus., a note equal in duration to half a minim or a fourth of semibreve; a crochet. -- Quarter pieces Naut., several pieces of timber at the after-part of the quarter gallery, near the taffrail. Totten. -- Quarter point. Naut. See Quarter, n., 1 (n). -- Quarter railing, or Quarter rails Naut., narrow molded planks reaching from the top of the stern to the gangway, serving as a fence to the quarter-deck. -- Quarter sessions Eng.Law, a general court of criminal jurisdiction held quarterly by the justices of peace in counties and by the recorders in boroughs. -- Quarter square Math., the fourth part of the square of a number. Tables of quarter squares have been devised to save labor in multiplying numbers. -- Quarter turn, Quarter turn belt Mach., an arrangement in which a belt transmits motion between two shafts which are at right angles with each other. -- Quarter watch Naut., a subdivision of the full watch (one fourth of the crew) on a man-of- war. -- To give, ∨ show, quarter Mil., to accept as prisoner, on submission in battle; to forbear to kill, as a vanquished enemy. -- To keep quarter. See Quarter, n., 3.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quar"ter (?), v. i.

To lodge; to have a temporary residence.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quar"ter, v. i. [F. cartayer.]

To drive a carriage so as to prevent the wheels from going into the ruts, or so that a rut shall be between the wheels.

Every creature that met us would rely on us for quartering. De Quincey.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quar"ter (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Quartered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Quartering.]

1.

To divide into four equal parts.

2.

To divide; to separate into parts or regions.

Then sailors quartered heaven. Dryden.

3.

To furnish with shelter or entertainment; to supply with the means of living for a time; especially, to furnish shelter to; as, to quarter soldiers.

They mean this night in Sardis to be quartered. Shak.

4.

To furnish as a portion; to allot.

[R.]

This isle . . . He quarters to his blue-haired deities. Milton.

5. Her.

To arrange (different coats of arms) upon one escutcheon, as when a man inherits from both father and mother the right to bear arms.

⇒ When only two coats of arms are so combined they are arranged in four compartments. See Quarter, n., 1 (f).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.