When you go vegan, you learn to appreciate your vegetables. Broccoli, asparagus, squash of all kinds, and MOST OF ALL spinach.

I have here with me, at this very moment, a tupperware container full of spinach. It was intended as a salad for lunch, perhaps with soy sauce or another light dressing. Today is different, though, today I'm just eating it raw.

No fork.

No dressing.

Just plain, raw spinach, from my fingers to my mouth. Here are just a few reasons why spinach is so fantastic:

  • The leaves have fractal vein patterns!
  • It is thicker than most other lettuce, and more durable!
  • Verily, spinach is verdantly vibrant!
  • High lutein content promotes oxidization of LDL cholesterol!
  • High fiber content promotes healthy digestion and lower caloric density!
  • Spinach is an excellent source of readily-absorbible iron!
  • Spinach is an excellent source of calcium, folacin, and potassium!
  • Spinach production requires less than 1/1000th the water of beef production!
In short, spinach is your friend. Enjoy it's subtle leafy flavor, revel in the freedom of vegetable ecstacy, shed your utensils and EAT IT RAW. PS: Buy organic, please. Even spinach can be made to taste bad with enough pesticides... and DO remember to wash, no one likes a dirty bush.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.