Perhaps counter-intuitively, "Ray of Hope" is not a person :-) A "Ray of Hope" is the metaphorical light breaking through the clouds, a glimpse of the possibility that the bad situation you're in might change.

For some reason, British Literature seems to thrive on the "Ray of Hope".

Maybe it comes from having the life sucked out of you, trying to eke out an existence on a cold, ugly rock in the Atlantic Ocean. Who knows?

I am reminded of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where Charlie's grandfather (or was it uncle?) buys Charlie a chocolate bar, hoping he'll find inside a golden ticket to the Willy Wonka chocolate factory, taking him out of his hungry, cabbage-soup eating poverty.

Of course, although he finds no ticket, this hope becomes reality later on.
For a more recent example, I note that Harry Potter also has a similar theme, his (unbelievably) miserable existence at the Dursleys punctuated by deliveries by owls - more rays of hope.

Ray of Hope is also some weird church. You can find their website on Google, and after you scroll past the section begging for money (and the section trying to get you to rent an apartment), there is some incomprehensible babble about transgendered gay people.

What this has to do with chocolates delivered by owls to cabbage soup eating boys is anyone's guess.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.