A regiment is a military formation of various size, usually between 400 and up to 2-3000 soldiers. Sometimes divided into two or more battallions. The term "The Regiment" in NATO military slang refers to the 22 Special Air Service Regiment. A regiment's glory and history is important for those who serve in it, and every well-assorted regiment has a standard with embroidered names of heroic battles in the regiments history, as well as its own marching songs and headwear.

Reg"i*ment (-ment), n. [F. régiment a regiment of men, OF. also government, L. regimentum government, fr. regere to guide, rule. See Regimen.]

1.

Government; mode of ruling; rule; authority; regimen. [Obs.] Spenser. "Regiment of health." Bacon.

But what are kings, when regiment is gone,
But perfect shadows in a sunshine day?
Marlowe.

The law of nature doth now require of necessity some kind of regiment.
Hocker.

2.

A region or district governed. [Obs.] Spenser.

3. (Mil.)

A body of men, either horse, foot, or artillery, commanded by a colonel, and consisting of a number of companies, usually ten.

⇒ In the British army all the artillery are included in one regiment, which (reversing the usual practice) is divided into brigades.

Regiment of the line (Mil.), a regiment organized for general service; -- in distinction from those (as the Life Guards) whose duties are usually special. [Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913


Reg"i*ment (-m?nt), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Regimented; p. pr. & vb. n. Regimenting.]

To form into a regiment or into regiments. Washington.

 

© Webster 1913


Reg"i*ment, v. t.

To form into classified units or bodies; to systematize according to classes, districts or the like.

The people are organized or regimented into bodies, and special functions are relegated to the several units.
J. W. Powell.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.