A certain version of a software package, often used as in next major release. Can also be thought of as reducing stress or tension.

In the music industry, a release is a single collection of works distributed and sold to the public.

Cds, EPs, Tapes, LPs and Singles are all releases.

Re*lease" (r?-l?s"), v. t. [Pref. re + lease to let.]

To lease again; to grant a new lease of; to let back.

 

© Webster 1913


Re*lease" (r?-l?s"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Released (r?*l?st"); p. pr. & vb. n. Releasing.] [OE. relessen, OF. relassier, to release, to let free. See Relay, n., Relax, and cf. Release to lease again.]

1.

To let loose again; to set free from restraint, confinement, or servitude; to give liberty to, or to set at liberty; to let go.

Now at that feast he released unto them one prisoner, whomsoever they desired.
Mark xv. 6.

2.

To relieve from something that confines, burdens, or oppresses, as from pain, trouble, obligation, penalty.

3. (Law)

To let go, as a legal claim; to discharge or relinquish a right to, as lands or tenements, by conveying to another who has some right or estate in possession, as when the person in remainder releases his right to the tenant in possession; to quit.

4.

To loosen; to relax; to remove the obligation of; as, to release an ordinance. [Obs.] Hooker.

A sacred vow that none should aye release.
Spenser.

Syn. -- To free; liberate; loose; discharge; disengage; extricate; let go; quit; acquit.

 

© Webster 1913


Re*lease", n.

1.

The act of letting loose or freeing, or the state of being let loose or freed; liberation or discharge from restraint of any kind, as from confinement or bondage. "Who boast'st release from hell." Milton.

2.

Relief from care, pain, or any burden.

3.

Discharge from obligation or responsibility, as from debt, penalty, or claim of any kind; acquittance.

4. (Law)

A giving up or relinquishment of some right or claim; a conveyance of a man's right in lands or tenements to another who has some estate in possession; a quitclaim. Blackstone.

5. (Steam Engine)

The act of opening the exhaust port to allow the steam to escape.

Lease and release. (Law) See under Lease. --
Out of release, without cessation. [Obs.] Chaucer.

Syn. -- Liberation; freedom; discharge. See Death.

 

© Webster 1913


Re*lease", n.

1. (Mach.)

A device adapted to hold or release a device or mechanism as required; specif.: (Elec.)

A catch on a motor-starting rheostat, which automatically releases the rheostat arm and so stops the motor in case of a break in the field circuit; also, the catch on an electromagnetic circuit breaker for a motor, which acts in case of an overload.

2. (Phon.)

The act or manner of ending a sound.

3. (Railroads)

In the block-signaling system, a printed card conveying information and instructions to be used at intermediate sidings without telegraphic stations.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.