Residence. The length of time which a person shall remain within the limits of a State in order to give him a legal residence there, varies in each of the different commonwealths, each government being the judge of the qualifications necessary to entitle a denizen to claim permanant residence within its boundaries. An alien who desires to become a naturalized citizen of the United States must prove a residence of five years in the country previous to admittance to the right of adoption.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Res"i*dence (r?z"?-dens), n. [F. r'esidence. See Resident.]

1.

The act or fact of residing, abiding, or dwelling in a place for some continuance of time; as, the residence of an American in France or Italy for a year.

The confessor had often made considerable residences in Normandy. Sir M. Hale.

2.

The place where one resides; an abode; a dwelling or habitation; esp., a settled or permanent home or domicile.

"Near the residence of Posthumus."

Shak.

Johnson took up his residence in London. Macaulay.

3. Eng.Eccl.Law

The residing of an incumbent on his benefice; -- opposed to nonresidence.

4.

The place where anything rests permanently.

But when a king sets himself to bandy against the highest court and residence of all his regal power, he then, . . . fights against his own majesty and kingship. Milton.

5.

Subsidence, as of a sediment.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

6.

That which falls to the bottom of liquors; sediment; also, refuse; residuum.

[Obs.]

Jer. Taylor.

Syn. -- Domiciliation; sojourn; stay; abode; home; dwelling; habitation; domicile; mansion.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.