Re*vive" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Revived (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Reviving.] [F. revivere, L. revivere; pref. re- re- + vivere to live. See Vivid.]

1.

To return to life; to recover life or strength; to live anew; to become reanimated or reinvigorated.

Shak.

The Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into again, and he revived. 1 Kings xvii. 22.

2.

Hence, to recover from a state of oblivion, obscurity, neglect, or depression; as, classical learning revived in the fifteenth century.

3. Old Chem.

To recover its natural or metallic state, as a metal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*vive", v. t. [Cf. F. reviver. See Revive, v. i.]

1.

To restore, or bring again to life; to reanimate.

Those bodies, by reason of whose mortality we died, shall be revived. Bp. Pearson.

2.

To raise from coma,, languor, depression, or discouragement; to bring into action after a suspension.

Those gracious words revive my drooping thoughts. Shak.

Your coming, friends, revives me. Milton.

3.

Hence, to recover from a state of neglect or disuse; as, to revive letters or learning.

4.

To renew in the mind or memory; to bring to recollection; to recall attention to; to reawaken.

"Revive the libels born to die."

Swift.

The mind has a power in many cases to revive perceptions which it has once had. Locke.

5. Old Chem.

To restore or reduce to its natural or metallic state; as, to revive a metal after calcination.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.