"...the future is certain. Give us time to work it out"

____________________________

Wednesday, March 5, 2003

    Node Notes

  • modified Recent Node Notes (oppressor_superdoc) to allow staff to view only those notes which they have created. Props to gnarl for the idea.

More smoke and mirrors

Thursday March 6, 2003:
Completed about a week long project into the feasibility of lingerd on E2's servers. We had a few libc problems and the EAPI and lingerd patches did not build correctly by default, but our custom version of the software is working and I'm submitting this root log on it. Hopefully it'll remain stable. There is still a lot of performance work to be done. If you have an ecore installation, this and Apache::SizeLimit are really good ideas.


Thursday March 13, 2003:
Changed around usersearchform's checkbox labels to fix a problem with Mac IE5. I /assume/ it's fixed, because I have no way of telling.


Added some cleanups to e2nodelock that fixes up some code a bit, and also adds the reason back to the box if a node is unlocked. This was a request from Gorgonzola.


Changed chatterlight to tell you what room you are talking in, and added a link to Available Rooms to allow you to change it. This is from a suggestion from Splunge.


Added a search box to the ever-popular chatterlight, per call's suggestion.


Wednesday March 20, 2003:
Per m_turner's suggestion in edev: Chatterbox ideas, created squawkbox


Saturday March 22, 2003:
To encourage the use of rooms across the site, people can now see where anyone is if they are in outside, no level restriction. Also, rooms will begin to disappear after two weeks if they have not been used. I added a field to roomdata that is triggered inside of room display page, when you join a room. If someone doesn't actually chat inside of that room, it will go away, and the user will be ejected into outside.


The code for this isn't written yet, because we need two weeks of usage data to begin the cleaning runs


Saturday March 29, 2003:
Applied Lord Brawl's patch to reorder the Epicenter's admin links. Reordered the FAQ links per bones' request.

[   --$year   ]
[ --$month ]   [ March  2003 ]   [ ++$month ]
[   ++$year   ]

(in the beginning (for me))

More information about some of these items, may be found on E2's SourceForge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/everything2/ .

(day of month - day of year)


1 - 60

  • Version 0.1.??.1 of the Java chatterbox released - now doesn't choke on the newer ticker version.

11 - 70

  • (prettyization) As per Gorgonzola's suggestion, modified firmlinks (htmlcode) to only show "See:" (instead of "See also:") if there are no writeups in the e2node.

20 - 79

  • Updated displayvars (htmlcode) so it shows the number of key/value pairs when viewing a setting.
  • Some usergroups have messages sent to the group automatically archived, so a group member may later read the messages. The groups that get archived are stored in the allow message archive setting. However, it is easy to enter invalid keys and values, so one would think the usergroup is archived, but really isn't. Today I finished usergroup message archive manager (restricted_superdoc), which is an editor for that setting - it lists all usergroups, and if they are getting archived or not. Changing a dropdown box is all it takes now to change if the group is archiving its messages. (No more messing with the setting.)
  • (prettyization) Made usergroup message archive (superdoc) sort usergroups case insensitive.

24 - 83

  • More useless stats: added display of "controversy level" to writeups with more than a few votes. I'm still playing with it, so only editors can see it for now. If there aren't any problems, I'll let everybody get confused by it. (voteit (htmlcode))

26 - 85

  • "Controversy level" was supposed show how much "fight" there is between the + and - votes. For example, 0% == all votes in 1 direction, 100% = same + and - votes. This was just an idea that the general public never saw, because many of the beta testers (editors) thought it was a stupid idea that didn't add anything.

[   --$year   ]
[ --$month ]   [ March  2003 ]   [ ++$month ]
[   ++$year   ]

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.