A skin disorder observed in about 13 million Americans. Red patchy areas appear on the skin, small pimples, and blood vessels appear more visible. Many people with acne think they have this disorder, due to its recent popularity in the media (the infamous rosacea pamphlet commercial). There are now cures for it.

Rosacea is a facial rash that occurs in middle aged men and women. The cause of rosacea is still unknown, but it does affect people mainly in the 30s and 40s, especially those with fair-skin, blue eyes and of Celtic origin. Rosacea is quite different from acne. The red spots and pustules are dome-shaped rather than pointed and there are no blackheads, whiteheads, deep cysts, or lumps. Sometimes the affected skin is swollen and hot. Rosacea affects the cheeks, nose and forehead. It may be aggravated by facial creams or oils, and topical steroids. Rosacea is often accompanied by other features: A red face due to flushing and telangiectasia (persistent red veins). Red, sore or gritty eyelids. Symptoms are often aggravated by sun exposure and hot and spicy food or drink. The skin may be very sensitive ie make-up, sunscreens and so on sting.
The best way to treat Rosacea is to use Tetracycline, which is a prescription medicine.

Personal Experience: After doing a little bit of research, I figured this is what I have, and not Acne. To me, this is worst than Acne, because Rosacea is long lasting (not to mention the difficulty I have pronouncing it)!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.