Sabre is an aerospace information company headquartered in Dallas best known for its airline and hotel reservation system. The Sabre reservation system is behind virtually every airline ticket sold online or through a travel agent. Sabre also owns travelocity.com, one of the best-known travel sites on the web. As an offshoot of its worldwide reservation system, which dates back to the 1970s, Sabre has become one of the leading data centers, hosting web servers and other high-uptime networked systems around the world. They've also got a range of information and software products aimed primarily at the aerospace industry.

Sabre is one of the three modern fencing weapons, the others being foil and epee, it is the modern version of the cavalry sword. Sabre is described by sabre fencers as being the only real weapon. Sabre can be used to attack either point-thrusting or slashing allowing for a variety of attacks.

The target area of sabre is anything above the hips including the arms, hands, and head. The sabre fencer's uniform includes a metallic jacket called a lamé and a mask which, unlike in foil, is metallic because the head is a valid target. When an attack falls within the valid target area the fencers blade completes a circuit with the lamé or mask and the valid touch light is lit on the scoring machine (red for one fencer green for the other).

Sabre bouts are very brief and violent involving many attacks by both parties before a valid touch is scored. Although out of target touches don't score a point in sabre they also do not stop the action as they do in foil.

Sabre shares with foil the rules of attack priority, meaning that a touch is only valid if the attacker had priority. Priority is established by the referee and is based on who began the attack first, once your opponent has begun an attack you must parry and then you can make a counter-attack, if your counter-attack is successful, even if your opponent hits you before you land the counter-attack, you score the point. an attack that was interrupted by a parry is only valid if the counterattack misses the valid target area.

Sa"ber, Sa"bre (?), n. [F. sabre, G. sabel; of uncertain origin; cf. Hung. sz�xa0;blya, Pol. szabla, Russ. sabla, and L. Gr. crooked, curved.]

A sword with a broad and heavy blade, thick at the back, and usually more or less curved like a scimiter; a cavalry sword.

Saber fish, ∨ Sabre fish Zool., the cutlass fish.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sa"ber, Sa"bre, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sabered (?) or Sabred (); p. pr. & vb. n. Sabering or Sabring ().] [Cf. F. sabrer.]

To strike, cut, or kill with a saber; to cut down, as with a saber.

You send troops to saber and bayonet us into submission. Burke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sa"bre (?), n. & v.

See Saber.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.