(Ice) hockey: The play by a goaltender where he or she stops, blocks, or deflects a shot that otherwise would have gone into the net.

Usage: "Barrasso, with the monster save! And the Penguins still lead it, 3 to 1."

Save (?), n. [See Sage the herb.]

The herb sage, or salvia.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Save (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Saved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Saving.] [OE. saven, sauven, salven, OF. salver, sauver, F. sauver, L. salvare, fr. salvus saved, safe. See Safe, a.]

1.

To make safe; to procure the safety of; to preserve from injury, destruction, or evil of any kind; to rescue from impending danger; as, to save a house from the flames.

God save all this fair company. Chaucer.

He cried, saying, Lord, save me. Matt. xiv. 30.

Thou hast . . . quitted all to save A world from utter loss. Milton.

2. Theol.

Specifically, to deliver from and its penalty; to rescue from a state of condemnation and spiritual death, and bring into a state of spiritual life.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. 1 Tim. i. 15.

3.

To keep from being spent or lost; to secure from waste or expenditure; to lay up; to reserve.

Now save a nation, and now save a groat. Pope.

4.

To rescue from something undesirable or hurtful; to prevent from doing something; to spare.

I'll save you That labor, sir. All's now done. Shak.

5.

To hinder from doing, suffering, or happening; to obviate the necessity of; to prevent; to spare.

Will you not speak to save a lady's blush? Dryden.

6.

To hold possession or use of; to escape loss of.

Just saving the tide, and putting in a stock of merit. Swift.

To save appearance, to preserve a decent outside; to avoid exposure of a discreditable state of things.

Syn. -- To preserve; rescue; deliver; protect; spare; reserve; prevent.

 

© Webster 1913.


Save, v. i.

To avoid unnecessary expense or expenditure; to prevent waste; to be economical.

Brass ordnance saveth in the quantity of the material. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Save, prep. ∨ conj. [F. sauf, properly adj., safe. See Safe, a.]

Except; excepting; not including; leaving out; deducting; reserving; saving.

Five times received I forty stripes save one. 2 Cor. xi. 24.

Syn. -- See Except.

 

© Webster 1913.


Save, conj.

Except; unless.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.