Founded in 1987, Scan were one of the first companies in the UK to cash in on the market for IBM PC clones, picking up large corporate contacts. Later a mail order component section was added, and offices were opened in Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong to make and sell cheap components. According to their website, anyway. (www.scan.co.uk)

Most people, myself included, came across Scan as a very, very cheap online computer component company. Most notable is the company's Today Only feature - products at pretty much trade prices, for one day only. It used to be a pain to order (telephone only - so 90's. Hur.) but recently online ordering has been added. Invisible money is -much- easier to spend.

What marks the company out, asides from their prices, is their savvy; they genuinely seem to know what niche markets want, and cater for them, often by manufacturing the product themselves. Example? They sell a 100% Hardware based PCI internal modem, with Linux drivers. They sell a high quality, region free DVD player with tonnes of connectors, for a relative pittance. Oh, and it plays MP3 CDs.

My only real complaint? Not enough info. Typically, all you get to know about what you're buying is a one line description, often without even a brand name. Rather disconcerting for people who don't really know what they're doing, but then Scan isn't really for them. Reliable and cheap.

Scan (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scanned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Scanning.] [L. scandere, scansum, to climb, to scan, akin to Skr. skand to spring, leap: cf. F. scander. Cf. Ascend, Descend, Scale a ladder.]

1.

To mount by steps; to go through with step by step.

[Obs.]

Nor stayed till she the highest stage had scand. Spenser.

2.

Specifically Pros., to go through with, as a verse, marking and distinguishing the feet of which it is composed; to show, in reading, the metrical structure of; to recite metrically.

3.

To go over and examine point by point; to examine with care; to look closely at or into; to scrutinize.

The actions of men in high stations are all conspicuous, and liable to be scanned and sifted. Atterbury.

<-- 4. To examine quickly, from point to point, in search of something specific; as, to scan an article for mention of a particular person.

5. (ELectronics) To form an image or an electronic representation of, by passing a beam of light or electrons over, and detecting and recording the reflected or transmitted signal. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.