a lazy good for nothing, triflin' no account Brutha Who Needs To Grow Up and stop making so many babies and avoiding responsibility.

In general, scrubs are lame-ass drains on society with ten thousand and one excuses usually involving The Man holding him down.

This more verbally efficient way of saying all of the above was made popular by the teeny-bopper group TLC.

A really fun way of playing baseball with no set teams. You need about 5-10 players to play a good game of scrub.

How to play scrub: There are probably many variations so I will simply explain the way I have always played it. I assume the reader already knows the basic rules of baseball.

I have always played the game with a softball. To start, two people are batters, one is the pitcher, and the rest are fielders. If you have, say, 7 people, you might have a catcher, "first fielder" (usually someone on first base), "second fielder" and "third fielder." There are no rules for where the fielders play, you just go where you think you can help out the most.

The first batter steps up to the plate and bats, and the game proceeds with the same basic rules as regular baseball, except that the object of the game for the first batter is to make it around the bases and home on the second batter's hit. So, he usually must be very daring in stealing bases and taking chances so that he gets home on the next batter's hit. A batter is called "out," if he doesn't make it home by the next batter's hit, or for any other regular baseball reason (like a caught fly ball, out at first, tagged out, or if the second batter hits a fly ball that is caught and the first batter does not make it back to his base.) If there is a baserunner, and the other batter is called out, (eg. out at first base) then the baserunner does not still have to make it home on that hit because at that moment the catcher becomes batter. As long as there is a batter to hit you home, you are safe on the bases.

If a batter is called "out," then he becomes the "third fielder" (or whatever, depending on how many people are playing), the "third fielder" becomes "second fielder," second becomes first, first becomes pitcher, pitcher becomes catcher, and the catcher becomes the new batter. In this way, everyone gets to be up to bat, and there is at most one player waiting to bat who is not part of the action. There is no score, because being up to bat and staying up is enough of a reward. The elimination of score also lets people enjoy the game and try to do funny crazy things without having teammates being critical because of a fear of losing. For those of us with big egos (eg. myself), relax, by the end of the game everyone will know who is the best player.

The way I have played it, there are no strikes or balls. The pitcher will try to give good pitches that will be hit so she can get up to bat quicker. If she doesn't, and there is a baserunner, the baserunner will most likely steal second, then steal third, and from third base it is usually amusingly easy to make it home. Sometimes it happens that there are two really good batters who are up and they seem to stay up forever. Usually one of the batters can gain great popularity with the fielders by intentionally bunting the ball and making it hard for the baserunner to make it home. Little things like this personalize the game and make it great fun for family get-togethers.

There are many parts of the game I have not explained in full detail. If you are wondering "Are we allowed to ..." and it makes the game more fun, then, of course, play the game that way. Just play!

The game ends when it is too dark to see the ball.

Scrub (skrub), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scrubbed (skrubd); p. pr. & vb. n. Scrubbing.] [OE. scrobben, probably of Dutch or Scand. origin; cf. Dan. skrubbe, Sw. skrubba, D. schrobben, LG. schrubben.]

To rub hard; to wash with rubbing; usually, to rub with a wet brush, or with something coarse or rough, for the purpose of cleaning or brightening; as, to scrub a floor, a doorplate.

 

© Webster 1913


Scrub, v. i.

To rub anything hard, especially with a wet brush; to scour; hence, to be diligent and penurious; as, to scrub hard for a living.

 

© Webster 1913


Scrub, n.

1.

One who labors hard and lives meanly; a mean fellow. "A sorry scrub." Bunyan.

We should go there in as proper a manner as possible; nor altogether like the scrubs about us.
Goldsmith.

2.

Something small and mean.

3.

A worn-out brush. Ainsworth.

4.

A thicket or jungle, often specified by the name of the prevailing plant; as, oak scrub, palmetto scrub, etc.

5. (Stock Breeding)

One of the common live stock of a region of no particular breed or not of pure breed, esp. when inferior in size, etc. [U.S.]

Scrub bird (Zoöl.), an Australian passerine bird of the family Atrichornithidæ, as Atrichia clamosa; -- called also brush bird. --
Scrub oak (Bot.), the popular name of several dwarfish species of oak. The scrub oak of New England and the Middle States is Quercus ilicifolia, a scraggy shrub; that of the Southern States is a small tree (Q. Catesbæi); that of the Rocky Mountain region is Q. undulata, var. Gambelii. --
Scrub robin (Zoöl.), an Australian singing bird of the genus Drymodes.

 

© Webster 1913


Scrub, a.

Mean; dirty; contemptible; scrubby.

How solitary, how scrub, does this town look!
Walpole.

No little scrub joint shall come on my board.
Swift.

Scrub game, a game, as of ball, by unpracticed players. --
Scrub race, a race between scrubs, or between untrained animals or contestants.

 

© Webster 1913


Scrub (?), n.

1.

Vegetation of inferior quality, though sometimes thick and impenetrable, growing in poor soil or in sand; also, brush. See Brush, above. [Australia & South Africa]

2. (Forestry)

A low, straggling tree of inferior quality.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.