The Giant Sequoia which grows in the Sierra is genetically distinct from the redwoods of the northern and central coast of California. These sequoias are generally wider and larger in mass than the redwoods, but not as tall. The sequoia generally grows around 4000 feet in the western Sierra, in moist areas. They are quite limited in range, although similar trees once covered much of north America during the ice age. Places these trees can be seen include Sequoia national park, sequoia national forest, sierra national forest, and Yosemite national park

Sequoia trees are the largest living trees in the world, but not the tallest. They can grow up to 300 ft. tall and the trunk can be 40 ft. in diameter. It can weigh up to 2.7 million pounds and can live up to 3,200 years.

Sequoia trees are also called Sierra Redwood and Big Tree. The scientific name is Sequoiadendron giganteum.

Sequoia trees are mostly found on the west slope in the Sierra Nevada in California. It is one of the fastest growing trees because of the ideal growing conditions: mild winters and dry, hot summers. The bark can be 2 ft. thick and is its main defense against fires and insect invasions. Sequoia trees are not good for logging because of their size.

The famous drive-through tree is also a sequoia. The tree is no longer up because it was weakened from the huge hole in it and paving over fragile roots. The sequoia tree is a miraculous tree that does not require a lot of maintenance.

Se*quoi"a (?), n. [NL. So called by Dr. Endlicher in honor of Sequoyah, who invented the Cherokee alphabet.] Bot.

A genus of coniferous trees, consisting of two species, Sequoia Washingtoniana, syn. S. gigantea, the "big tree" of California, and S. sempervirens, the redwood, both of which attain an immense height.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.