A share on a SMB network exposes files to the network so that many people can use them.

A share can be a drive, directory, or a printer.

Share (?), n. [OE. schar, AS. scear; akin to OHG. scaro, G. schar, pflugshar, and E. shear, v. See Shear.]

1.

The part (usually an iron or steel plate) of a plow which cuts the ground at the bottom of a furrow; a plowshare.

2.

The part which opens the ground for the reception of the seed, in a machine for sowing seed.

Knight.

 

© Webster 1913.


Share, n. [OE. share, AS. scearu, scaru, fr. sceran to shear, cut. See Shear, v.]

1.

A certain quantity; a portion; a part; a division; as, a small share of prudence.

2.

Especially, the part allotted or belonging to one, of any property or interest owned by a number; a portion among others; an apportioned lot; an allotment; a dividend.

"My share of fame."

Dryden.

3.

Hence, one of a certain number of equal portions into which any property or invested capital is divided; as, a ship owned in ten shares.

4.

The pubes; the sharebone.

[Obs.]

Holland.

To go shares, to partake; to be equally concerned. -- Share and share alike, in equal shares.

 

© Webster 1913.


Share, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shared (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sharing.]

1.

To part among two or more; to distribute in portions; to divide.

Suppose I share my fortune equally between my children and a stranger. Swift.

2.

To partake of, use, or experience, with others; to have a portion of; to take and possess in common; as, to share a shelter with another.

While avarice and rapine share the land. Milton.

3.

To cut; to shear; to cleave; to divide.

[Obs.]

The shared visage hangs on equal sides. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Share (?), v. i.

To have part; to receive a portion; to partake, enjoy, or suffer with others.

A right of inheritance gave every one a title to share in the goods of his father. Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.